Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Everything's Fair in Love and War

Have you ever noticed how your children keep track of equality in the family? Especially among siblings??? "Jordan has this, so when I'm that age, will I get one too?" "Kylie has one...can I have one too?" 'When can I have one of...?'
Okay, yes, it's mostly Kathryn, because she's the youngest and has had to wait to be able to get certain things...well, no she hasn't!!! She had a cell phone younger than the older two, she had a t.v. in her bedroom until last year...she got to date non members before the other two (not that THAT worked out well)...she's been given more privileges than the other two...just basically, she's had a fairly nice life. Car, friends, more leniency, etc etc.. But it hasn't necessarily been the best thing, now that we look back. We've had to learn through some sad experiences that we maybe should have raised her a little more tightly like we did the older two.
But, I can't go back now.
Now, I need to help her grow up real fast to prepare for this big mean world out there that she feels ready to conquer. She doesn't quite know everything yet though.
She has to pay for her own tuition - we will pay for her housing and books. She has to get her own laptop computer...we bought the other two theirs - (well, Kylie got hers as a graduation gift); she will have to pay for her own living expenses, except rent and then anything else she wants or needs. There's going to be no car, and no coming home for anything but Christmas. She's going to want to fly home to see and be with Kylie's baby, but, it's not going to be possible.
I know it's tough, but she's also the only one that hasn't had a job during high school too. She's figured we would bail her out at the last minute and she could get away with just working this summer. It's a rude awakening, yes, but a position we should have taken with her a long time ago. But, she'll do fine if she's careful and saves all through the summer. I'm sure she'll thank me for it later.
So, here I am 50 and I'm still working full time to help put my kids through school, life and their continual learning.
Doesn't sound fair does it? Jordan is experiencing a little of the same medicine right now. He does have a full time job but is going to have to defer this next semester of school until he earns enough money to go back. But he's happy earning his own way. I think he's feeling a little independent and good with himself for seeing his own way through some rough times. I'm proud of him. It's hard for me to not jump in and take care of every need that my children have. But it does them no good for me to make life too easy for them.
So, as graduation gets closer for Kathryn, I realize that this next step isn't going to be anything like she is expecting...some of this news is going to be hard for her to swallow. I'm sure I'm going to hear some 'that's not fair' and ' you did it for Jordan and Kylie' wailing and whining...but, we can only do what we are able to do. She will have to do the rest herself.
LOVING my days this week. Cooking good meals - nice and relaxed at work with fun discussions of becoming a grandma and doctor becoming a 'mom' again..yes, she's expecting, due in November..and then making dinner for a family I visit teach that just had a baby...and some new YUMMY dessert recipes...just enjoying some great days.
Tonight? I just took a cheesecake out of the oven, did up the dishes from a great dinner and now I'm going to go finish reading a hilarious book Del got me for Mother's Day while listening to my new Josh Grobin CD. Of course, this is all done while I am wearing my new Austin Collie jersey that Mike and Kylie got me for Mother's Day.
Life is good...

4 comments:

Steve and Stephanie said...

gotta love growing up :)

Vicki said...

And you can just pass those YUMMY dessert recipes on this way...
vontrapp8@gmail.com (hint,hint)

Kylie C. said...

I know exactly what you mean with Kathryn. I've tried to explain to her that I was JUST THERE! I know what it's like to not have mom and dad to rely on anymore. Any time I tell her that she just calls me mom and stops listening. Oh well. Good luck.

Sean and Becky said...

Ugh..I hate being a grown up. At least you guys are still paying for her housing and books. Sean and I both had to pay for everything by ourselves. It sucks, but she'll get used to it :)