Monday, May 18, 2015

Mothers Day in the Bottom of the Big White Tupperware Bowl

Our white Tupperware bowl is used for two things - mostly.  And if you were to ask my children, they would be able to tell you the two reasons.  One, for making stuffing.  And two, for throwing up in.  And some of my kids would even say, it is one and the same thing.
The first weeks of May are rough ones now.  My daddy's birthday is the 5th, he died on the 8th, Mother's Day comes next, and then my mothers birthday is the 16th.  All, very significant days now. I checked 'out' around the 6th.
I went home early that day from work, feeling very light headed and dizzy.  Didn't quite know what what happening, just that I needed to NOT be at work.  I got home around 1:00 and fell asleep for a good four hours, when I then woke up and made dinner for Del before he had to go to a meeting.  Wednesday morning, I was up and gone to work early, but in the late afternoon, I started feeling very dizzy again - Although I didn't leave early, I came home and went to  a Relief Society meeting, where as the discussion went along, I started feeling more and more light headed.  Home, and to bed by 9:00.
Thursday morning, I was up and on my way to work when the dizziness started again.  I had to stop at Walmart, to get some roses to give to some of our patients for Mothers Day, but as I got out of the car, I stood up and threw up all in the parking lot.  I glanced around quickly to make sure I wasn't be watched, and went in to make my purchase.  At the check out stand, I could feel it coming, so ran out to the parking lot, where I once again, threw up.  Work was literally 3 minutes away, but I barely made it inside my office, when once again, I made a mad dash for the bathroom. After two consultations and three more visits to the bathroom, I was so dizzy and disoriented, that I knew I needed to cancel my afternoon patients and head on home.  A 45 minute drive and I couldn't tell you if you asked me, how I got home.  But I did.  And went straight to bed, with the Tupperware bowl by my bedside.
Del was on the phone, as he is every day, doing work - by about 5:30. I knew I was pretty sick and was trying to get Del's attention to come ask me what was wrong.  Instead, I drove two miles to where Jordan was working at the wedding venue, to ask if he and Matt McNaughton would give me a blessing.  Matt wasn't there though - and I was sobbing.  Jordan followed me home, where he brought it to Del's attention that I was really sick.  They gave me a blessing and then Del went to the store to buy me some medicine and things - By the time he got back, I was panicked and in tears, telling Del that I needed help - a doctor - .  He took me to the hospital.
I threw up on the way and apparently passed out...according to Del.  I don't remember.  I just remember Del dragging me in to the hospital because he couldn't carry me and they got me a wheel chair.
Questions were asked that I couldn't answer.  I couldn't even think, it hurt.  I threw up - I had blood drawn in three different places, because I was dehydrated and my veins would collapse.  One try was in my left hand, which the nurse missed completely and it blew up huge, turning my hand black and blue. The blood showed that my white blood count was double what it should have been, meaning I had a bad infection somewhere.  A urine sample showed it was a urinary tract infection.  And, I had vertigo - so every time I moved, I threw up.  That didn't make for very much fun when I had to go have a CT scan and a chest xray taken - All in all, I was in the ER for 5 hours - and wanted to die.
They gave me Zofran for the vomiting, some IV antibiotic for the infection, and then some IV medicine for the vertigo.  And they sent me home right after midnight.  We stopped at a 24 hour pharmacy to get all the meds and then Del got me home as quickly as he could.  I threw up the minute we pulled in the driveway.
I stayed in the guest bedroom that night.  I didn't want to have Del see me throw up - but he wouldn't have any of that.  He helped me all 5 times I was up in the night vomiting...he brought me my meds like clockwork.  He brought me ice water to try and keep me hydrated - he tried to get me to eat - I couldn't.  He helped me when I cried because I was soooo exhausted from throwing up.  He stayed by my side 24/7 for three days - caring for me and loving me - so tender and thoughtful.  I made him go to a high priest social he was supposed to attend, but he went for only an hour, turned around, and came home to me.  He arranged with his counselors to take over some other responsibilities while he stayed home and kept watch over me.  He did go to church on Mother's Day, but only for the three hours, and then came right home to me.  The next few days, I was still too weak to go to work and he cared for me all the way to Wednesday when I finally had enough strength to drive to work and make it through the day.  But even then, he checked on me several times during the day to make sure I was surviving the day.
Needless to say, Del was my tender and loving guardian angel.
My sister Elaine, made the comment in a text, that 'it wasn't one of my better Mother's Day celebrations.'  I had strength enough to only share with her, that contrary to what she and others might think, it truly was probably the best Mother's Day I can remember.
Between my kids calling me several times a day to check on me and see how I was doing...and having my sweet and devoted husband by my side almost 24/7 for 6 days, I truly knew I was loved and cared for by those that I love the most.  I was doted on, pampered and lovingly cared for by a man that loves me unconditionally and without any desire for anything more than my health and welfare.  It was a very sweet and tender 10 days for me, as I have continued to struggle a few more days in getting back to 100%.  I have never had anything set me so far back on my backside than this illness has.  And yet, I have also not had anything like this bring Del and I more loving and close together in our friendship, relationship and marriage.
I love him and am grateful for his desire for me to be well.  I turned to him when I knew there was no other I could turn to.  His compassion and tenderness made me well.
I'm glad, to once again, put away the big white tupperware bowl...and hope to not bring it back out for a very long time.

No comments: