Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Double Standard in Truth Telling

Last week, Pres Obama addressed Congress and the Nation concerning his Healthcare plan. It was half way into his speech when a Republican could handle the speech no more and yelled out from the floor 'You lie!' Had I been there, I probably would have stood and applauded the outcry as it was exactly how I was feeling from the comfort of my own couch in the living room. Of course, his denouncement of the presidents speech was taken with much offense by the Democrats and even some of the Republicans, who thought he shouldn't have been so rude and outspoken in front of the nation. His consequence??? They held an 'official vote' in the House of Congress of giving this honest Republican an open 'rebuke' for his outburst. The vote passed, and Rep. Wilson has been rebuked.
Last night, at an awards program on t.v., singer Taylor Swift was receiving an award for her performance when another famous performer ran out and embarrassed himself and everyone else there saying rude comments and disrupting the whole evening. It was terribly inappropriate and humiliating for both Taylor Swift and others there.
Today, Pres. Obama was being interviewed by a reporter, but before the interview started and the microphone was supposedly off, he was asked by the reporter about the said incident the night before, where he responded by calling the perpetrator a 'jackass'. The comment was immediately taken by those in the room and placed on 'Twitter' and the Internet. Pres. Obama is outraged as he felt his name calling was the truth of the situation he had seen the night before.

Now, I say to myself, "Why is one truth rebuked, abolished and publicly denounced and the other found accurate, acceptable and supported by those who also saw the incident???" I find a dramatic distortion of 'truth telling'...So it matters WHO is telling the truth?? Does it matter WHERE the truth is being told? Or is it to whom the truth is being told????

Or should we put it before Congress for a vote???

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"AMEN" Lott's wife!

Unknown said...

I think you should be a columnist in the NY Times!

Dave and Loralee said...

I'll add my "amen"-I was trying to figure out why those issues bothered me so much and you were able to put words to my feelings!