Thursday, March 6, 2014

"Dear Diary..."

Forty one years ago today, I was 13 yrs old, in the 8th grade going to Valley Jr. High School.
My best friend was Julie Baur - and had been since kindergarten.
My boy friend was Stephen Charles Kistler, and had been since 5th grade.
Of course, I had a crush on Kevin Shields and had since first grade.
And, when I say boyfriend, I mean, we had crushes on each other and wrote each other notes back and forth at school.
The reason I remember the day - Mar 6th?  It's because that was Steve's birthday - and it's the day, in the 8th grade, that I started writing in my Diary.  And I've been writing ever since.
It was actually 'Dear Diary' at the time - in a book that actually had 'Diary' written on the front and had a lock on the side of it that had a key to open it.  I kept the key in my top drawer next to my underwear.
And I wrote every secret in it that I had ever had.  My Diary was told everything. It would have been death had my parents found it.  I wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend - I wasn't allowed to wear my skirts rolled at the waist to make them shorter in length - I wasn't allowed to read Barbara Cartland romance novels, although I spent most of my paychecks from the Dental office on buying anywhere from 5-6 new volumes a week.  I literally had 100's of them in my locker at school.  Of course, my Diary knew all that.
Today is Stephen's birthday.  I have wondered for YEARS what happened to Steve.  He graduated from High School early and left Carlsbad before I had even graduated.  And right after graduation, I left for BYU. I've never seen Steve since.  I've asked his family about him, even looked him up on the internet but had found nothing over the years - until a couple of weeks ago.  I found him in California, a little north of Carlsbad - married and with children.  I wrote down an address and phone numbers that were provided and tucked the piece of paper into my purse.
I almost called him today to wish him a happy birthday.  But I didn't.  More than a boyfriend growing up, I considered him a friend.  He was slightly inactive, mostly because of his parents divorce situation and then his mom being a single mother and not wanting to come to church.  I have found out that his sister, MaryBeth died. (I don't know why or how) and so did his step brother.  I think he's still married - I guess I just wonder still how he is and what he's doing.
BUT....the last time I wondered about an old boyfriend, he contacted me years later and I'm still paying the consequences for THAT move!
Better to leave things alone...
Happy Birthday Steve Kistler -
and Happy Birthday 'Dear Diary'.

No comments: