Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Adding Some 'Shabby Chic' to My Life


Jordan and Lexi will be moving out next weekend.  It has been just a few months in the making, but I knew that this day would be coming.  I have been wanting to decorate my home since the moment we got it over two years ago - but we've always had someone living with us to inhibit me from completing things.  But Jordan and Lexi will be the last to go.  So I have been redecorating a room at a time - starting 5 months ago with my little office off my bedroom.
After I got it all finished in how I liked it, I asked someone who I showed it to, what my style was.  I have never known what 'contemporary' or 'modern' or'classic' or all the other names, have ever meant.
I just put together what I like.  So when the words 'shabby chic' came out of her mouth, I asked her to define what that was...She pointed to the room and said 'THIS".
Shabby Chic.  After she told me what it was, I tried to describe it to Del - he didn't get it AT all.  In fact, he cannot comprehend why anyone would want to take a piece of furniture, beautifully made and crafted, and then distress it and make it look old and shabby - it just about sends him over the edge.
My little office was the first thing I finished.  Since then, I have been collecting items and having quilts made for my guest bedroom; or what is currently Emerson's nursery.  But nothing can be done until they are gone - so I started on the laundry room.  It's cute - I finished it last weekend, with Del's help. He cut up our old oak entertainment center and made a shorter table for me - then he made a shelf to hang clothes on from the dryer - pedestals for the washer and dryer and then I have cute things for the wall.  I like the whole affect.
The two pieces of furniture about, both used to be solid dark brown.  Lexi chalk painted them for me - one for the kitchen and one for the guest bedroom.  Del and I have purchased new furniture (couch and a love seat) for the living room, and they should be delivered next week also.  The last thing will be the kitchen table.  I have asked Del to make me a farm table - very country - very fun.  With one side having chairs, and the other side with a bench.  He about rolled his eyes out of their sockets when I first asked him.  He was hoping for a more formal dining set - something would really show off his furniture making skills - but I'm asking for a farm table.  Poor Del.
Without too much more detail...the house should be done by the end of November.  And I couldn't be happier.  And Del and I will be?  Empty Nesters.  Dare I say that outloud???  Could I hope any harder for it to be true??  Let me be the first to say though, we have LOVED having Jordan and Lexi live with us and watching our sweet grandson, Emerson, grow up right before our eyes.  But they are ready - and we are ready for life to move on.  They need their own place - we need our own place.
More pictures will follow as I start to finish the other rooms and everything gets put in it's place -
Can't wait.

No comments: