Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My Thursday Nights Are Booked

The Dallas Millennial Choir and Orchestra started here in Texas about two years ago.  I didn't know about it until it had been established for about 6 months and my sister Elaine, had joined as a soprano.  She had encouraged me to join, but I really wasn't interested and didn't really have the time.
About 7 months ago, the choir conductor and his family, moved into our ward.  They are building a large beautiful new home near us, moving here from California.  His name is Brett and we became immediate friends.  He has a beautiful voice and we have sung together a few times, the last time being at Christmastime, when he sang with me, Kylie and Del in a quartet.  He suggested I join his choir.  I went to their Christmas choir concert and LOVED it - even yearned to be part of it...but I just felt too busy and tired to even think about it.
Tonight, I auditioned for the choir with Brett.  I went down to Dallas, where the choir rehearses and sang for Brett, where he immediately accepted me into the choir and poured out compliments of how much he really loves my voice...calling it beautiful several times.  I was pleased.
You know what...I knew I would make the choir.  I knew I would be made an alto and I knew I would be glad...but I didn't know how nervous I would be actually auditioning.  I haven't auditioned for something since I was in high school and had to try out for the school choir and Chamber Singers.  I have a good voice - I've always known I have a good voice.  I'm not being vain or prideful.  But that is one talent I have always acknowledged from my Heavenly Father - he blessed me with a talent of music - specifically, a voice that can sing.  And yet, over the years, I've been the one to hold back my talent from situations like this.  Why?  I don't know why.  I love to sing - I love to perform...And tonight, I was nervous auditioning for Brett.  I already knew he had heard me sing before, and he had already asked me to come join his choir.  But to do it officially was really intimidating.  My voice is VERY much out of practice.  But I'm excited to now stretch my talent and use it again for good.  I'm back in the ward choir too.  My patriarchal blessing talks specifically about my singing voice and talent of music - just like my daddy's.  There was a time that I sang a lot...but over the past 15 years, I've kind of been on a musical break.  BUT...I guess I'm going to be back into the music world again.
My sister Elaine, is thrilled.  It will be fun to see her every Thursday at rehearsals.  The choir is like a mini Mormon Tab Choir - so it's as close as I'll ever get to living my dream.
Time to get these vocal chords 'back in the saddle'.

No comments: