Tuesday, October 6, 2015

We'll Go Just With the Highlights

I don't know how to do three months worth of catch up when those three months involve some of the most life changing events to have happened to our family.  So, I'm going to have to go with the highlights, eliminating a lot of the details and emotions I would have normally shared about our garden, our chickens and our day to day living.
Last entry was July 7th - right in the middle of our chicken raising and collecting of eggs, our garden and harvesting of our season - and all the weekly fun we were having with our grandchildren.  We were down to 6 chickens - but within a 3 week period, we ended up feeding the local wildlife, and all 6 chickens were gone by raccoons, coyotes and bobcats.  I was pretty disappointed, mostly because of the cost of eggs at the grocery store and I had become quite attached to the chickens, as had  our grandchildren.  This happened right at the same time our garden had quit producing and had become completely overcome by weeds and over grown grass.  It's like we had lost everything we had spent months and months working on.  Discouraging.
The second week in July, Del went with a large group of youth and adults in the ward, to Nauvoo on a week long trip to Carthage jail, and the Nauvoo pageant.  It was a wonderful experience for him and the rest of those who were able to go - an experience shared through testimonies and Sacrament meeting talks for weeks to come.  The event brought a special spirit to our ward as those who went would share the emotions and spirit they had with the rest of us.  It was wonderful.
The end of the month brought our 33rd anniversary and Kylie's birthday, both of which Del spent in Boston on business.
Del sent me flowers for our anniversary.
He was still in Boston on August 6th, which day was a life changing experience for me.  With Del gone, I turned to Alana, my dear friend , for help in taking me to and from the hospital where I had my surgery done - yes, I had a tummy tuck and lipo suction surgery, both of which were huge for me. I had planned to have it done in December, but then got anxious and more and more excited about it, and decided I really didn't want to have it done during the holidays, so I moved it up to August, when Dr Henao was out of the office for two weeks.  So, I took my vacation at that time and had the surgery done.
The skin removed from my tummy - football size and from hip to hip.

The fat removed from my sides and top of my hips

The compression wrap I have worn for the past 8 weeks

It was painful, but SOOOO worth it.  I can't tell you how happy I am - the surgery went well...the healing went perfect and the results are perfect.  I went from a size 16-18 tops/dresses/skirts - to a size 12 top and dresses and a size 10 skirt and pants.  I feel wonderful and beautiful.  I've waited over 30 years for this.  And even though I moved the plans up by 6 months that put a little financial crush on us, Del is pleased with the results too.  He teases me that I look like I have been cut in half, but when I wear the pretty skinny dress to church, and he sees me from across the room, I can see his smile and reaction to my new figure.  It makes me finally feel beautiful. Since the surgery, I have lost an addition 13-15 pounds and continue to try and lose a little more.
My new Sunday dress
Del keeps me grounded though and reminds me to not be prideful...and that we're going to be paying off the surgery for the next 3 months.  I'm humbled...and grateful.
I was out of commission for about the whole month of August - no church, no driving except to dr. appt's...I worked, but very lightly and very slowly.  The healing won't be complete until at about 6 months post surgery.  Right now, the hip to hip scar is not painful at all - in fact, it's still fairly numb. But my stomach muscle, which he sutured back together and repaired, is very sore whenever I don't wear my compression wrap.  Dr tells me I am supposed to re-introduce myself to my stomach muscle and become friends again.  I haven't had a stomach muscle in over 23 years.  I don't want a six pack, but I do want to keep things nice and tight.
After I was finally up and around, it was time to address the over run with weeds and grass garden, doing more canning and getting new chickens to raise - this all happened the first week in September.
Plus, we had MULTIPLE fun visits from the grandchildren with lots and lots of memories...those are the pictures I have posted first...



















Summer canning of chicken and chicken noodle soup - our shelves are full of storage!!




And then on September 6th, Del came home from the supply store with 20 new chickens - baby chickens...and he and the boys moved the chicken coop over to a new area by the swing set and then Del built a temporary cage for them to stay in the garage for about three weeks - we just moved them out to the coop this past weekend (October 3-4th). The grandchildren LOVE the new chickens - sometime they even skype Papa, just so he'll move his phone to where the chicks are so they can see them. Several of them have been named - Sunhine(by Madi, who can't say the 2nd 's'), Smokey, by Preston...and a few other names I haven't quite caught...  But little Emerson can't say 'chick', so he just goes around the house making the sound, meaning he wants to go see them.







BYU football started the beginning of September also, and so I have been a very happy camper.  I love the football season, especially BYU games - BUT, our Heisman trophy hopeful quarterback, was injured the very first game and is now out for the season.  That dampened things a little - but we won our first two games against ranked teams, then lost two games, and then won last weeks game. The beginning of September, I also celebrated my two year anniversary at Bliss Orthodontics.  I love my job - I love the people I work with - just a fun place.





Another important thing to mention - is that during the past three months, we have had three of our 12 Apostles pass away - President Boyd K. Packer, Elder L.Tom Perry and then Elder Richard G. Scott.  All three had beautiful funerals and are terribly missed.  This past weekend was General Conference and three new apostles were called to the quorum.


The last thing to document or write about, is probably the most significant of all.  But it will merit having it's own blog post and so I will close this one and start the new one titled
Lucy Beth Crump.

No comments: