Monday, December 28, 2015

What the Heck Just Happened??



Bliss Orthodontics Office Christmas Party
Friday, Dec. 11th was the beginning of a blur.  Early that morning, I had an end of the year meeting with Dr Henao and her husband, Nacho, to discuss the successes and concerns of 2015, and we all jointly agreed that it had been a very good year for the office and next year would be even better.  I was slightly disappointed that I did not get offered a bonus or a raise, but had to realize I had received a $2 bonus last year - .  As soon as our meeting was over, we rushed to a really nice restaurant, where the rest of the staff was waiting for us to celebrate our Christmas Office party.  Dr gave us really nice gifts and we had a wonderful lunch, but I had to cut it short to rush out to pick up the 6 sheet cakes and other supplies that were needed for that night - our ward Christmas Party.  I was the counselor in the Relief Society over the ward party...so a lot of planning had gone into this party for 300 people.  We didn't have quite that many show up, but close enough.  And it went off nicely.  But I came home exhausted.



 DMCO 'REJOICE" Christmas Concert - Dec 15, 2015


The choir had two concert nights - the first being Tuesday Dec 15th.  Emotional day for me in the first place, with it being the 30th anniversary of Michael's passing.  Don't know why it struck me so emotionally this year - probably because of all the Christmas events I was involved in - concerts,parties, memories etc etc...So, the concert went beautifully.  I had a hard time 'keeping it together' for a few of the songs...I just let the tears come.  The 2nd night of the concert came at the end of a VERY stressful week at work, home and just a lot of other things.  I left work around 4:30 and drove to the concert hall - and within literally 30 minutes, I was in a full fledged vertigo./ anxiety attack and flat on my back.  I had no clue what had happened to me - I know I was crying - couldn't stand up, was DIZZY beyond belief and had Bethany and Elaine caring for me until Del arrived at the concert.  I was so disappointed, because that was the night my family came to watch with guests I had sold tickets to.  I ended up being taken home by Del and put to bed.



Lost a bet...sweat pants were provided.
I was sick for days - one of them being Saturday, Dec 19th.  I had made a bet with a sweet new sister in our ward...Connie Hutchins, on the BYU/U of U Bowl game...and I lost.  But Del said I was so deliriously sick, that I actually kept my end of the bet and wore the said promised clothes of UofU for the whole day. I'm pretty sure I was 'near death' to have gone through with my end of the deal -



The following Tuesday, Dec 22nd, I was called to hear that my brother in law, Steve Driggs, had passed away earlier that morning.  My sister Sheila, was a widow.  I was stunned - and so sad for her and her family.  They were having the funeral that coming Saturday, which meant, Del I would need to fly out Christmas Day to be there in time.  
So we made a few quick changes for our little family to celebrate Christmas a day earlier - and so our children all came over on the 24th, where we had a nice dinner and then opened gifts.  I have forgotten to mention, that both Kathryn and Del's mother, Shirley, had arrived a few days earlier - so they were here also.  We actually opened gifts outside on the lawn, as it was a beautiful day.  I remember Del mentioning that he thought it was the first and only time he ever remembered opening Christmas gifts outside on the lawn.  I had to agree with him.
We had gone simple for Christmas - mostly for the grandchildren- but we received some things too and it made for a very sweet Christmas.
After the kids left, Del and I packed for our trip, and Christmas Day, we flew to Phoenix Arizona.








It could be said of Steve that he never was heard to speak a mean or unkind word about ANYONE.  He truly was one of the most Christ-like human beings I knew, with a tender heart of gold. Sheila had asked us sisters to sing at the funeral, so when all the others arrived early Saturday morning, we met at the church and rehearsed a song for about an hour before we felt ready to sing it.  It was nice to be able to sing such a beautiful song, 'Come to Jesus', that none of us had heard before, but learned together within an hour, and then sing it fairly nicely.  I mean, we had heard it a few days before, but never learned it.  At times like that, I feel very blessed and grateful to a Heavenly Father that allows us to share talents like that to add to the spirit of the meeting.
Sheila handled things beautifully.  She was stoic. - never cried - was composed and very well put together.  I knew, from experience of my own, that her tears had been shed many days before the day of the funeral - and that she would, after everyone had left, cry more silent tears on her own in the weeks to come.  I was able to visit with her about some of her future plans. - she wants to sell the house, get something smaller, yet in the same area - spend time with her children and grandchildren and some time on herself.  She will miss Steve terribly, but is very much at peace, knowing back in June, when the cancer diagnosis came, that it would be the thing to take him from her.  So, she has been preparing WITH Steve, the past 5 months, for this moment - they had discussed everything.  Steve even helped plan his funeral.
After the funeral, most of my family left for Carlsbad, where they would all be attending the family reunion that I had decided months ago, to not attend.  For one slight moment, I regretted my decision - but realized that I needed to be back in Texas with my children and grandchildren.

A few other highlights to mention - the day after Steve passed, my sister Becca calls to say that my mother is needing emergency surgery to place a pacemaker in her and may not be able to travel to the funeral or reunion.  Surgery ends up being done and goes well, AND I was able to see her at the funeral.  Seems that if her heart condition had gone another day to week or so, it could have been fatal.  I just shake my head in astonishment that she was spared for us to have longer with us. A few phone calls with Jordan also, to find that he is terribly sick, with what started as a sore throat, went to an infection, then to an abscess in his throat - swollen - Finally went to the doctor where he had to have a shot of antibiotics and other meds and has been down for the count.  Another thing to mention - not momentous, but...my brother Garth was at the funeral; played the piano for us girls.  I had reached out to him a few months ago after YEARS of silence - he re-married two weeks ago and his new wife was there also.  He embraced me - we hugged - I was warm, but still not 100% there yet BUT...it was significantly changed from the past years.  I at least acknowledged him as my brother.  The only family not able to attend were my brothers Paul and Mark, as they and their wives were still in Carlsbad finishing the major preparations for the family reunion.  I missed them.

After the funeral and most everyone had left, Del and I went back to out hotel and went to bed early to catch a flight home to Texas yesterday morning, Sunday.  Over the weekend, terrible storms and tornadoes had hit Texas, killing 11 people in one area and flooding many many more cities. We came home to a mess.  No-one really affected in our ward or boundaries that we knew, but all over the news, there were people who had lost their homes and loved ones.  In fact, our plane circled over Dallas for over an hour, hoping to land, but they had closed the airport due to lightening, thunder and winds, so we were sent to San Antonio, where we sat at that airport for two hours, waiting to be re-fueled and sent back to Dallas.  We ended up getting home over 5 hours late, stopped at Kylie's for some homemade soup and games, before finally getting home and to bed by 11:00 p.m.

So my question remains....WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED???  It's all a blur to me,, It is Monday the 28th, and I am back at work...but I'm trying to realize all that has happened over the past two weeks.  I've not been to church, but I have been to a funeral in Phoenix, to San Antonio for a 2 hour lay over - and seen a lot of my siblings and my mother.  My sister is a widow and I know I sang at a concert, at a funeral and my mother had surgery.  Today is my grand daughters birthday - Madi - I know I have a gift for her somewhere at home...but when I'll see her or get it to her, I don't know. i have a cold/hoarse voice, my head is in a fog and I know this weekend is New Years, but I have NO CLUE as what future plans there are for anything.

I think I need some sleep.  I'll let you know if that happens.

No comments: