Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference with It's Traditions



General Conference has always been family time. I remember growing up how we would all sit around the t.v and watch conference together. Of course, my parents were much more strict with our behavior during conference that I am....we were not allowed to talk, we were not allowed to fall asleep and we had to be sitting up and never laying down paying full attention to every word being said. I guess it almost HAD to be that way with 10-12 children, otherwise, there would have been pure chaos.
Our traditions started when the kids were young. Kylie and Kathryn would pull out their bed mattresses, blankets, pillows and set it up right on the floor in front of the t.v. The three kids would all lay on the king size mattress together and giggle and play until time for conference to start. Del would have 'Conference BINGO' for them to play or I would have things for them from the Friend to do to occupy their time when they were little.
The older they got, we started implementing the 'homemade cinnamon rolls' and other things for a big breakfast before conference started. I have never worried if one of them has fallen asleep as most generally, either Del or I would join them about half way through the session.
The past few years, we have added the 'massage line', where everyone gets a massage during the session, including Lacey, our dog. It helps us to relax and have 'quiet', which gets more and more difficult when Kylie and Kathryn are together. They turn back in to two little kids when they get together and Del must have told them both to 'settle down' at least 6-7 times today.
In between sessions, we make more food - homemade chili, pizza, Halloween cookies and almond roca today. We played card games and even snuck in a little football for Mike. We called Jordan to see how he was enjoying conference and then ended the night with Kylie and Kathryn finally getting told a final time by Del to 'settle down'.
I was exhausted by the time the dishes were done, Kylie and Mike were out the door and we had all the food put away. But so spiritually fed by the talks and messages shared at conference. It was a theme of LOVE ... so inspiring.
A great time to spend as a family where we get to hear our Prophet and other church leaders, be both spiritually and physically fed and enjoy the moments of being a family. I missed Jordan, but knew he had listened to each session and attended Priesthood meeting in Idaho and was enjoying the same spiritual uplift that we were having.
Now I can't wait for the November Ensign to arrive next month where I can highlight all the messages I heard this weekend and remember once again, the promptings I received from the Holy Ghost as they touched my heart.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Oh the comforts of watching conference in your own home! I guess if conference time was the only time that I had cinnamon rolls, I could justify eating them, right?!