Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The GPS

Jordan has a GPS. We used it on our recent trip to Houston. It was a life saver. It is a device that allows someone to input a current location/position with an ultimate destination and it will give you the most direct route to arrive at that destination. If at anytime during your course, you deviate from that route, it will take your new position and re-route or re-direct you once again to your final destination with an alternate path. Needless to say, with Jordan's interpretations of the GPS and my driving skills, we found ourselves re-directed more than once.
This morning, on my way to work, I heard a commercial on the radio about the GPS. To summarize, the message was basic...'if you follow the directions of the GPS, it gets you where you want to go'. My first thoughts went to my scriptures and how they are such a valuable GPS in my life. But as the day has progressed and I have continued to think of the GPS and the many analogies it has in life, I have come to the conclusion that I am lost.
It is only the 5th day of the first month of the new year...and I am lost. I thought I knew my current position and ultimate destination, but because of the deviation of some others also on my road trip, my spiritual GPS is re-routing me and giving me some 'forks in the road', 'alternate turns' and a new basic 'road map'. I'm feeling very very lost. My GPS is having to be re-routed on almost a daily basis right now. I'm feeling helpless at every turn when I'm not where I'm supposed to be 'on the map'. How do I know my next turn when I don't know where I am???
My thoughts have led me to late tonight, thinking I need to stop the car, pull over to the side and re-group. I need to look back and see where this started and where it NEEDS to go and then re-enter the information in my spiritual GPS; that meaning, where the spirit directs my next turn.
Temple on Friday...and then some waiting and patience. I'm so uncomfortable being on the road to somewhere I didn't plan on going. But now, I have to be directed on how to travel the road.
I pray my spiritual GPS will be effective and clear as to WHAT I need to do and HOW I need to do it.
In the meantime, I work on not crashing and falling apart.

3 comments:

Carter said...

I find it so very interesting that you feel lost. One of my recent blogs said exactly the same thing. I'm starting to find direction in my own life. Paths aren't always clear, but there is someone who can see what's ahead, even if we can't.

Adam and Jess said...

I'm not going to lie, I was surprised to see Carter's comment above mine and to read what he was talking about. Anyways, I feel the same way you did. I feel overwhelmed sometimes with raising kids, keeping a clean house and happy husband, and finding time for spiritual things on top. I/we used to be so much better at keeping on top of things, but I have a goal this year too of being more honest with myself and remembering the spiritual things my life needs instead of putting them on the back burner. Thanks for just saying it how it is:)
I bet it's been really fun to have Kylie back in your house again.

Debbie said...

Is it time for another trip to Houston? I can tell you exactly how to get here! I hope all is well. I like your analogy. Lots of love and prayers being sent your way!