Saturday, April 10, 2010

I Need a Vacation from my Vacation

My ten day vacation started Thursday at noon. Kathryn took me to have my nails done and then my eyebrows waxed. The nails are nice but very inconvenient. I don't know how anybody gets anything done with long fingernails...they are just useless. And the eye brow waxing just downright hurt!!! Both of us got our haircut of which only one of us was really happy and the other has been crying ever since!!! They cut off 10 inches of Kathryn's gorgeous blond hair and she was devastated. It seems to be a little bit better though with every compliment she gets, which is about every 5 minutes. It really does make her look very sassy and older - kind of 'college' ready.
Then yesterday, my Maytag washer died...it's partner in crime, my dryer, died about a year ago and we had to replace it at that time. I really expected them both to last a little bit longer than only 10 years, so I am quite disappointed that I had no washing machine yesterday. But it ended up being for the best, as I wouldn't have had time to do the laundry anyways, as Del called from work and said that the principal of Kathryn's school had called him saying Kathryn was in the hospital - she had passed out at school and couldn't be revived, so the ambulance had to come and take her to the hospital. She was most upset that the EMT's had cut her new bra off, the only one that really fit her and thrown it away. I was a little suspicious of that too, as the ER nurse said they only do that during a 'trauma' situation; and that was a $32 bra!!!
Kylie came and picked me up and we drove over to the hospital where Kathryn was having blood drawn for some tests and things. Otherwise, she appeared just a little 'worn out' and couldn't remember much of anything. The principal and teacher that helped Kathryn gave us the details - just that she was on her way to the nurse with the teacher, on the elevator, and just went down. The nurse and others tried to revive her, but she was out cold. So EMT's and ambulance were called and tried to do the same with no success, so she was taken in. She remembers nothing. Test results showed nothing, so we are left with an ER bill and a lot of questions. We brought her home and we tucked her into bed. They said it could be stress. WHAT!!??
Today, Del and I went washing machine shopping. I can't believe how much those cost now. It won't be delivered until Monday - more money, more stress. I've been watching my vacation money leaving my account over the past two days, but realize that dreams and needs seldom equal each other and I have to be okay with where the money is going. I can only do what I can do.
So, I have no washing machine yet to do laundry, I already did the grocery shopping yesterday and so we are just finishing up on some yard work and I made cookies. Del's allergies seem to be a little worse this year - he's sneezing and coughing and has the whole 'watery eye' thing going on. I've found him some Claritan that I hope will help him. But in the meantime, he's finishing up on the final touches of the yard before coming in for the day.
Jordan finished school yesterday - or the winter semester. He did great except for one class - Psychology - probably got a D in it...But his other classes were good. Now, he's going to start his new job Monday - full time in a lawyers office making some good money. He will have to travel to Idaho Falls every day, but it's only 30 minutes and he has a car now...not a great one, but it will at least get him where he needs to be. He's on his own financially...I can only pray for him now. Hopefully, he will be wise beyond his years.
So that has been my vacation so far. I'm already worn out - physically and financially. I think I need to go back to work on Monday just to make sure nothing else happens. I can't afford these kind of vacations. I may just sleep the remaining 8 days -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Kathryn is ok. So sorry about your crazy vacation! I hope the rest of it is "uneventful!"

Dave and Loralee said...

i totally "get" you. anytime we have any money saved up, something crazy like that happens to us. But I'm grateful Kathryn's okay (may the favorite bra rest in peace).