Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thursday - Day 5 of Family Reunion

I made a mistake with the title of the last post - it should have been 'Day 4' instead of day three again.
Thursday was the last day of reunion and Del and the girls were up that morning and left for Idaho to see Del's father and Darlene and then down to Logan to see his mother, Shirley' and then on their way home to Texas. That left Jordan and I to have our own fun.
We went and ran a few errands, having Jordan's car serviced, visiting a few Utah friends and then we went over to my parents home to hang with the rest of the family. We played more games, ate more food and then we prepared for the last event of our Family Reunion.
My sister Rachel and my cousin Ruth are both members of The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and they had made special arrangements and received special permission that allowed my father and Uncle Floyd, to sing with the choir that evening in their Thursday night rehearsal.
It has been a life long dream of my father's to sing with the choir, but he's never lived in Utah or been in a position until his later years to do so. But now, of course, he's too old. Except for this once.
I cried - of course. But so did everyone, including daddy. There were over 50 of us there to watch daddy standing in the very front row of the tenor section. I caught Rachel looking over several times trying to see if daddy was being taken care of and enjoying himself. He had been given the songs to practice and he had done his best to prepare himself to participate, but as he mentioned later, nothing could have prepared him for the emotion or quality of voices he was surrounded by. But he sang - I watched him. He was like a little kid in a candy shop, just in awe of everything around him.
He was formally introduced to the choir by Brother Mack Wilburg, the choir conductor and we stood and applauded, all 50 0f us....all his family. The rehearsal ended at around 9:30, where he was then ushered down, with Uncle Floyd, to their awaiting families. Daddy was thrilled, as were all of us for him and we spent the next hour or so visiting and reliving the experience outside on the grounds of the Conference Center.
There were some cousins and family there that I hadn't seen in years - Vicki, Theresa, Debbie and a few others. They had also come to see Uncle Floyd and daddy and it was so nice to have their support. What great memories we were able to share.
A lot of family left on Friday to drive back to their homes. Jordan and I went over to Lance and Becca's home to play some more games and then that evening, we took Mark Roberts and his wife, Allison, out to dinner to Olive Garden. After dinner, we spent one last night over at Lyndon and Chelsie's home playing some Make a Million before going back to Lon's for bed.
Saturday morning, I bought Jordan some groceries on our way to him dropping me off at the airport and then I flew home as he drove on up to Rexburg.
It's now that I'm glad I didn't have access to any more pictures for this reunion. This blog would have ended up waaayyy too long. But thank heavens the memories will still be there as it truly was a wonderful time for our whole family.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

It was SO good to see you after all these years. I wish I could have met your kids...and you could have seen Kevin! Glad you had a fun time.