Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A New Friend

This is Alana.  A single mother of three wonderful children - a widow - young, vibrant and beautiful.  And my friend.  I've been in the ward almost two years now - and we have been acquaintances in the ward and at times, even a little more friendly.  But we've never really 'connected' until now.
I am the first counselor in the Relief Society presidency.  Alana is the 2nd counselor.  And over the past 6 months, since being called, we have started developing a very comfortable friendship.
I admire Alana and the person she has become and and continues to become since the passing of her husband, Jack, over three years ago.  This has been a very difficult trial for Alana - one that has left her very lonely, heart broken and overwhelmed with the raising of three very heart broken children as well. She's trying to understand what the Lord wants her to do, while mourning what she had known as 'safe', 'a family', 'home' and 'eternity'.  To her, most of that is now changed, if not 'gone' all together.
My role in our friendship?
I think it's to help her move on.  She's been stuck - for three years, in the 'moving on' process.  It's not that she wallows in her situation, she just hasn't known how, or been able, to grasp the fact that things are different now.  She doesn't feel that she 'fits in' to the Mormon family image anymore.  I want her to know and understand she does, more than ever...
And I love her children.  They are good, although they have their struggles; especially the oldest, Andrew.  He was his father's sidekick - shadow- best friend.  It's been a terrible blow to each of the children, but especially Andrew.  And he's taking it out on his mother.  Andrew always felt it was 'him and his dad against the rest of the family'.  The perceptions of a child.  But he clashes with Alana, and she knows it.  So there is a drama there that both Del and I are trying to help with - both with Alana AND Andrew.  Del is now their home teacher, which we are both very pleased about.  It gives me an even BIGGER excuse, (although not needed), to spend time with someone I already want to develop a better friendship with.
But it's not just a one way friendship.  Alana has many wonderful qualities and attributes that I admire and would like to develop more fully in my own life.  She makes me feel young and energetic.  She is one of the hardest working, independent and self reliant women I know.  And she's a down to earth, fun loving, country girl...and I love that too.
Well, I could go on and on...but I'll post more about this later and as things continue to grow and progress in our relationship.  I'm hoping we will become fast and durable BFF's...

No comments: