Monday, June 16, 2014

Our Final Picking




We had a total of 6 bean picking sessions - It took me just over two hours each time to pick, and then another two hours to snap them, except the Friday Date Night we made out of our final picking.  I was glad to have Del's help,because honestly, I was exhausted.
This first year of a successful garden, I had decided I wanted to share our blessings with some of our dear friends and neighbors that hadn't been as lucky/blessed as we were.  So, I gave a lot of our potatoes and green beans away.  They were sooo appreciated by those with whom we shared, so I didn't begrudge the final result of our harvest with beans and potatoes.  We will have enough to be happy.  Next year though, I promised Del I would be a little more considerate of our own needs...HUH?  Yeah, that really came out of his mouth.  But I understand what he meant.  I didn't have to give to the same families over and over.
Our tomatoes should be next and we still have onions coming and corn should be next.  Squash and zucchini will be the last of the harvest.  It has been so nice to have what we have grown for almost every meal we eat.  It never grows old, eating from our own garden.

No comments: