Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"I Scratched My Heartbeat But I Didn't Die!'

The other night, Del and I were over at Kylie's house while Mike was out of town.  The kids were playing outside and doing fun things, while Del and I were inside talking to Kylie.  We heard Preston start to cry/scream and so we ran out to see what had happened.  While coming down the stairs from the trampoline, he had scraped the front of his chest on the corners of the stairs and it was bleeding a little and looked pretty sore.  We brought him into the house and gave him a bath and carefully cleaned it up.  Afterwards, we fed the kids dinner.
While they were eating, Kylie took this picture of Preston's 'owie' and sent it to Mike, knowing he would call within minutes to ask what had happened.  When the phone rang, we all kind of laughed and Mike quickly asked Preston to tell him what had happened...Kylie put the phone on speaker and Preston across the table...' I scratched my heartbeat, but I didn't die!'.  Del and I laughed and laughed, thinking how clever Preston's description had been to his accident.
I've thought a LOT about what Preston said over the past week .  'I scratched my heartbeat, but I didn't die'.  Over the past few weeks, I have observed in our world, some pretty terrible things that have truly, 'scratched my heartbeat'.  The Supreme Court of the United States passed a law that legalized same sex marriage; something I thought would never happen.  Something that, in the past, has been considered immoral, disgusting and unnatural, has now been passed as legally acceptable and encouraged by many citizens in this country where I live.  It has truly 'scratched my heartbeat'. There have been a few other things happening, in the ward, between ward members, that once again, scratch my heartbeat....But through all of this, I haven't died...and it will get worse.  This world is actually going to get worse.  I can't imagine it - but it will.
There will be many more moments in this life, when 'LIFE' will scratch my heart...but I can't let it kill me.  I need to continue to stand for Truth and Righteousness and in keeping my covenants with my Heavenly Father.  This world will get ugly.  But the church will continue to stand for what is morally right.  The first presidency made a statement that has now been read throughout the church in every ward.  God's Law does not change just because the law of the land approves of something contrary to God's law.
Another scratch of my heartbeat....We have had the passing of two apostles over the past month - the first, was Elder L. Tom Perry and the second, was our beloved Pres Boyd K Packer, who died just this past Friday. Knowing some of his family personally, has made it just a little sadder for me, knowing they are mourning his loss.  It's sad how they found out at the same time the rest of the church finds out - kind of.  They have very little privacy to mourn or plan a funeral - but they understand all that with having him been in the public eye for so long.  I just pray for comfort for them.


No comments: