Tuesday, May 21, 2019

So Where is He Spending His Days??

The past 1 1/2 years at work have been a little difficult for me.  Last year, I worked harder and longer than any previous years, and had the most successful and record beating year in the books.  I gave my all: even ALL I HAD TO GIVE.  I will make a sincere note of acknowledgement to the Holy Ghost at this time.  He seemed to be ever present in my life, but especially at work, where we had a sense of excitement and success, always grateful for our success.
So, when Dr Henao and her husband set the goals for this 2019,I was discouraged to see them anticipating an even bigger and better year than the one before.  But I knew last year was a fluke - a year that I was very aware I was not going to be able to repeat again this year.  News reports and politics have been sharing how difficult this year will be for the small business owner - especially if what we have to offer, is considered 'an optional' desire.  And That's what orthodontics is - OPTIONAL.
January was great, but still not as big as last year.  February was good, but didn't match last year or even meet our goal.  March and April??  I tanked - terrible months.  Even March being one of the worst months in years.  April was only slightly better than March and by this time, both me AND my doctor are feeling pretty disappointed.  It's now May 22, and it looks like if everything goes as currently scheduled, we might actually hit our goal of 23 starts per month.  But, there has been no presence of the Holy Ghost.  It's like?  He's gone AWOL on me.  There's a different attitude in the office among all the staff.  No-one wants to be there.  No-one is excited.  All talk is of money and why aren't we able to convert our consults into starts!!
I'm discouraged.  Even exhausted. But I'm afraid she's already seen my best efforts last year.  The rubber band has stretched as far as it will go, and in order for us to do better than we did last year, I need help. And with the atmosphere that we currently have in the office, the Holy Ghost not only doesn't feel welcome, but has other places he'd rather be.
So if He's not with me, where has He gone???
How do I create an atmosphere that He wants to be there??  His absence has me angry, negative and wishing I could retire.  I argue and yell at other staff members - even at doctor.  Our focus there is so material and non spiritual, that I have a hard time figuring out how the Holy Ghost would even fit in!!
It's like I wake up with him, go to work, He takes the day off, but I find Him at home when I get there.
Now mind you, my office is not EVIL - but others swear frequently, we have the occasional inappropriate jokes and conversations, and doctor is continually focused on how much money she needs to make to be rich.  And it all turns to me to make that work out.  I HATE having that as my daily focus - hounding people for money - trying to convince people to get something they can't afford and then collect it when they can't pay.  I tell myself I can't do this for much longer and even threaten to quit when I get to my wits end.  Today, I gave doctor my 'one month notice', saying I just can't do this anymore.  Only to take it back at the end of the day, telling her I only want to go home and retire.  But I've committed to Del another 3-4 years of working to help get us out of debt.  I can't quit.
But I've got to figure out a better way to handle this daily grind.  I need to have a calming spirit about me.  Not to help me make more money or help doctor make more money, but to keep me calm and focused when I DON'T reach the goals - and things DO suck at the office. I need the Holy Ghost to comfort me.  I don't like going 9 hours a day without His presence.  Del says I need to choose to be happy.  Have faith enough that the choice to be happy will have me make the decisions and effort to be so. I think a priesthood blessing from him will contribute to those efforts.
Plus, an 'OPEN' sign on my office door, may let HIM know I'm inviting HIM to stay the day.

No comments: