Wednesday, April 13, 2022

'I'll Die a Happy Man'








 Del is 65 years old and one of the hardest workers I know.  He always has been - good old Idaho Farmer Boy.  One of the hardest things he does is yardwork - aerating our acre of grass and yard.  He does it every year, but this year, it seemed to be slightly more tasking than in years past.  I watched him wince, breath heavily and stop more often to rest.  I try to provide water for him and an occasional discussion to make him have to stop, but otherwise, he plows through it as quickly as he can, as he's renting the machine by the hour.

One of my conversations with him was of concern.  He stopped as he saw me approach him.  I said 'You're going to kill yourself doing this.'  His face was red and sweaty - I could see he was tired - even exhausted.  But he looked up at me and said, 'Then I will die a happy man!'

He doesn't have to die at all.  THAT'S my point Del.  You could hire this out.  You could take an extra hour to do it.  You could not do it all.

ALL of which is not acceptable to Del.  If he's living and breathing, he'll do it.

Until he's no longer living and breathing.

No comments: