Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm Not Going Anywhere

Over my lifetime and starting at age 12, I have been the chorister in the Primary probably 5 times, but for a total of about 21 years. This past years Sacrament meeting program was the 18th time I have been in charge of the music and I've been feeling slightly weary.
For anyone who has ever been the Primary chorister, you know what I'm describing when I talk of the exhaustion I experience every week when I come home from church. Most Sunday's, Del understands the state of comatose I go into the moment I hit my front door after church. I go straight to my room, remove my heels, anything of constricting nature (my bra) and lay on the couch until Del asks what he can do to help with dinner. Depending on how much energy I have left, I get up and help Del get dinner on the table...or, I yell from the couch..'I love you, but you're on your own today!!'
Yesterday was one of those days that I had actually planned ahead and had dinner in the oven for an immediate meal when we got home. And thank heavens I did...cause I was POOPED!!!
During Junior Primary which includes about 60 - 70 children, we also included the new almost three year olds to our music time. That meant it was time for me to not just teach music, but to entertain them and get them excited to love learning music. There were 14 of them...and they just stared at me with the eyes of 'deer in the headlights'. But they were adorable...
After Junior Primary, I went to the 60-70 Senior Primary kids...now they are my kids. I click with them. They make me laugh too...We were practicing a song that we are singing on Christmas Day. I was tired from earlier...I was sweating from jumping all over and singing with all I had. And I was contemplating this being a good time to maybe asking to be released for a spell from Primary.
But then...I had 'a moment'....where everything comes to light of how things should be, and I knew I needed to stay right where I was...in the Primary, with these great children.
And so I will. For me...not for them, but hopefully it will end up being for mutual growth and progress.
I love the Primary.

No comments: