Friday, October 19, 2012

Flatlined - Part 4 Resolution

Today, being my day off, I actually slept in until 6:30 after a very restless night.  Not that I wasn't tired...I was exhausted.  I got home at 9:00 last night and went almost immediately to bed, only to have a very 'tossing and turning' 9 hours.
I had a headache..needed fresh air, so I took Lacey for a walk.  She had already been out for one walk with Del a few hours earlier but she was ready and wanting to go on another so off we went.  I was too slow for her.  The walk wasn't for exercise, it was for air.  It was to fill my lungs with clean, fresh, cool air.  I watched Lacey and noticed for the first time in months, that she was limping again on her back right leg.  It's arthritis.  I've had her off her meds for awhile now as she seemed to be doing really well but I guess her age is showing a little today.  It made me think.
Lacey is 63...compared to my 52.  She's considered a 'senior' when it comes to dog years.  While in that thought, I watched her running through the fields and yards up ahead of me and realized how much she just loves being alive and that even though she is having some discomforts, she is happy.  I could learn a few things from Lacey.
'Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful'.  And I don't have to FEEL or BE young anymore to love my life.  I just need to change my attitude and give myself a swift kick in the butt.  So, I did.
I came home from my walk and decided to take advantage of my day off.
Kathryn has been living here for almost 2 months and she's been living out of every room of the house.  So the minute she was up and out of bed, I enlisted her in the job of setting up 'her space'.  I switched everything from what I had as the guest bedroom, to the other bedroom and we made Kathryn's room, strictly hers.  It looks nice...and her bathroom is now removed of all my purple and green and it's now her black and teal.  it also looks really good.  Now the extra room, formerly known as our 'family room' with all pictures of the family and BYU is now also the guest bedroom.  It's crowded and full but it's still nice enough to serve it's purpose of giving warmth and welcome to any visitor.  Most importantly, everything has a place and is IN it's place.
Cleaned house, did laundry in our new washer and dryer and then took a short nap.  Had a fantastic conversation with Kathryn and Del about some interesting topics and then prepared for the arrival of our sweet Preston.  Yep, he's here for the night.  While I made homemade clam chowder, Kathryn and Del played with Preston outside, running around the yard and then playing out in the backyard forest.  Preston hated coming in but settled down when it was time to help Papa set up the new crib we have here at the house for when Preston stays.  Preston LOVED handing Papa the tools and jumping on the crib mattress.  Kathryn gave Preston a bath afterwards and now they are all in a full mode of throwing cushions and toys all over the front room.
I'm content - I'm never going to be young again.  I'm never going to feel as good as I did a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, or 10 years ago.  But I can enjoy how good I feel today and be grateful for another day.
'Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful'.
I just have a new definition of wonderful now.

No comments: