Tuesday, October 23, 2012

'Sleeping Single in a King Sized Bed'

Now before you go getting any ridiculous thoughts, let me explain.
Del has been sick...for about a week now.  Started off as a cold, then to lungs, then to just head to toe not feeling good.  Has the coughing, can't breathe, blowing his nose trumpet style, clearing his throat...you know, the 'everything a wife hates' cold.  He's felt rotten, I know, but he also knows that all the symptoms that come with this terrible stuff is gross...
So, he has set up residence in the guest bedroom, which leaves me in our HUGE master suite sleeping alone in our HUGE California King sized bed....
...and I don't like it.
Our bed is ten years old and it's worn in...meaning...it has divots...meaning, you can see my body imprint on the left side and Del's body imprint on the right side; the middle has a 'speed bump'.  I've been trying to sleep in the middle on the speed bump, but I keep rolling down the slope of one side or the other.  This has not been fun.
Funny what we become accustomed to after 30 years.
Del even stayed home from church Sunday...GEEZ, whens the last time THAT happened?!  Forever ago.  The only thing that has made this past week even half tolerable is the fact that we have just recently moved Kathryn's big t.v. into our bedroom...so I have at least been able to talk to someone during this lonely week.  Okay okay, so the talking I do is yelling at the football referee's, but at least it's something, and they don't talk back.  But I do miss the constant flow of Del's breathing and sometimes snoring, and I miss the feel of knowing his body is over on the other side of the bed.  I hate this vast open space and that if I rolled over, I would roll into nothing but more king sized bed.
At any other time, a king sized bed is just perfect.
But when you're alone...a twin would be all I would want.  Otherwise, the extra space is just a reminder that you're just that....all alone.
I'll sure be glad when my trumpet blowing, throat clearing, lung hacking husband is on the mend and will come back to bed....
....OUR bed.

No comments: