Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Now I Watch and Wait

Some of our tomatoes, green and red peppers, banana peppers and  zucchini.

Eight of our rows of corn.

Green beans, strawberries, potatoes and onions.

Our final corn field - 10 rows, each  50 feet long
As of yesterday, it's all in.  Everything is planted now so that we should enjoy a harvest from late summer through late fall/early winter.  We have staggered our planting so that we harvest for about a 6-8 week time period and not all at once.  I'm exhausted.
Yesterday, I planted 10 tomato plants, 4 red peppers, 4 green peppers, 4 banana peppers, 4 zucchini plants, 2 cucumber and some herbs.  On Saturday, Jordan came over and helped us plant our last crop of corn - Our first crop has finally come in, and over the past 4 days, I have thinned them down to what we will finally produce.  Some of our green beans haven't come up, which I'm disappointed about.  It's in the row that I think Kathryn and I were having a little too much fun that we weren't as attentive in our planting skills.  Actually, the row looks like we were drunk.  But it's okay.  We should still have a good harvest.
Now, the watering, weeding and TLC kicks in for the next 4-5 months.  I've already sunburned, tanned and sunburned again about three times over.
I'm pretty proud of my farmers tan.

No comments: