Monday, May 20, 2013

His Last Day

Family gathered around quickly.

Rachel was singing while mom was talking.

Mom had some last minute requests - say hi to Grammie.

Rachel says her tender goodbye.

Last minute....last goodbye's.

Mom kisses daddy goodbye after his last breath.



She held his hand until he was gone.



My sweet sisters arrived....too late.
Wednesday May 8th.


This post is being written May 20th, 2013.
Wednesday, May 8th.
I was at work and had just arrived back from lunch when the phone calls and texts started.  First Becca...then Elaine, then Becca again.  I knew something must be wrong so I quickly excused myself from work and went into the lunchroom to return some phone calls.  I called Becca first.
Since daddy's birthday on Sunday, the decline started gradually on Monday, but then by Wednesday morning, he had a fever and was breathing rapidly and very shallow.  The doctors were worried.  Over the next few hours, it was obvious daddy was going to pass.  Becca had called to say that if I wanted to see him, I better get up there FAST. Mom was asking that we all pray for a quick release for daddy as he was in such pain and discomfort.  Our prayers started immediately.
Elaine was on a plane by 4:30...Sheila also.  I was stuck at work.  More calls...more texts.  I left work at 5:00.  I got home at 5:30 and was getting dinner ready when Becca called, sobbing. It was 5:52.  He had just died.  I was devastated! I sobbed.  Elaine and Sheila had not made it in time - nor had my brother Phil.
Becca gave me a few details through our weeping and then I spent the rest of the evening quite numb.
My daddy was gone.  I couldn't even comprehend it.  I couldn't get my head around it.  But he was, in fact, dead.  It took several days for me to grasp the truthfulness of the fact until I finally calmed my heart and soul.
A most difficult day.

No comments: