Monday, May 20, 2013

The Funeral

So glad my sweetheart Del was with me during this most tender occasion.  He was my support and strength through the whole weekend.  I do love and adore him.
Very touched that President Hartman Rector and his wife, Connie, were able to come and honor our father.  Daddy was Pres. Rector's first counselor in the San Diego Mission Presidency and taught daddy all he knew about missionary work and leadership.  Life long friends...AND...President Recto was the one who officiated at mine and Del's sealing.

Saying our last goodbye's.

Goodbye my sweet daddy.  Right before the casket was closed.
 An hour before the funeral, there was another public viewing for those who had not been able to attend the night before.  Again, there were hundreds there.  Some very special friends came from my childhood and my early years in Carlsbad California.  The Davies, The Barsons, The Rectors, KayLynn Clawson,, etc etc...it was wonderful to see some of them again.
After everyone left the viewing, we had a family moment where each of us were able to approach the casket and say our final goodbye's to daddy.  Each family went by and when I passed him, I brought my fingers to my lips, kissed them, and then pressed them to his lips.  I was stunned....his face was hard and his lips were solidly cold.  I was sad that he was cold.  He was NEVER cold.  But it was what it was.  I still did not cry.
Make a Million cards were snuck into his casket and mother placed his temple recommend into his shirt pocket.  His temple hat was placed on his head and mother said goodbye before they closed the casket for the last time.  Then we marched into the chapel.
The church was packed....all the way back into the cultural hall to the back of the gym.  The program was wonderful with Rachel and Garth giving a great life sketch.  The grandchildren sang two songs, then my brother Paul gave a memorable talk.  So many were crying....I held my own still.  The adults sang a beautiful song and then I stayed on the stand, as I was to give the closing prayer.  It was then, that I was able to see the faces of all who had come to give their last respects to my daddy.  So many relatives, cousins, uncle and aunts, missionaries, Carlsbad ward members and friends, Utah friends and ward members.  So many people.  Uncle Floyd gave a powerful talk, addressed mostly to daddy's posterity, heeding them to remain faithful and strong so as not to break the family chain or honor.  It was powerful...direct...no mincing of words.
Closing song was one of daddy's favorites....Abide With Me.  I was fine, until the third verse.  Then I cried, for the first time.  Paul, my brother, leaned over and held my hand.  That did NOT help.  But I stopped instantly when I was to give the prayer.  It was thoughtful and complete.
The family followed the casket out to the hearse.  My six brothers were the pal bearers and lifted and placed the casket into the hearse and then we all followed it to the grave site.


No comments: