Friday, May 17, 2013

On Our Way to Utah



One of Del's counselors works for Southwest Airlines.  When I went to Utah in February, he was kind enough to give me a free plane ticket to help ease our financial burden.
Once again, Gabe Peterson's kindness was over abundant.  He gave each of us, me, Kathryn and Del, free airline passes to come up to Utah for my father's funeral.  It comes, of course, with lay overs and more stops than normal, but I'm willing to do whatever it requires to be blessed with a free trip to Utah.
So I took pictures to document our trip.  Del and Kathryn were typical - Del working on his computer and Kathryn doing what she does best...sleeping.  But it was fun.  We made each and every flight and really got here in perfect time.
Becca picked us up and dropped us off at Lon and Loraines home where we will stay over the next few days.  The above picture is where we sat last night and enjoyed their backyard and some nice conversation.
Today, we have my family commitments...a dinner and then a 2 hour viewing for family and friends.  I'm having a difficult time imagining the 2 hours tonight of greeting family and friends...mourners.  I'm wanting to only make it easier for my mom.  If my mother is anything like I have thought she is over the years, she would much rather forget about this viewing, go straight to the funeral, have the meeting and then quietly bury daddy without having to interact with the whole world.  Just simple and quiet.
But there are protocols, aren't there....always expectations to meet and always people to please.
So, I will be where I need to be, when I need to be there, and try to stay as much in the background as protocol will allow me to be. Then I will go home.

No comments: