Monday, September 23, 2013

Feeling Unnecessary

I'm the 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency.
I've been in the Primary for over 20 years of my married life, and many years before that as a teenager.  And most of that time, I was the music leader.  I've done 18 Sacrament Presentations over the years and so I have a 'little' experience in that area of the church.
But I was useless in the planning and implementing of yesterday's Primary Program.
Two months ago, when as a presidency, we decided it was time to start on the planning phase of the program, our new president got on the internet, found a program that had been done somewhere in the church, copied it and decided THAT was the program we were going to do in our ward also.  I was a little dismayed, thinking that no thought or feelings of our own had gone into the program - that we had had no input, it wasn't personal to our children, and we (me and the other counselor) and not been asked our opinions or been allowed to feel any promptings of our from the spirit.
Then, in the practices and seating details etc, once again, executive decisions were made without our thoughts or opinions being contributed and finally, by about this point, I was feeling that enough executive decisions had been made and that counselors weren't really needed, except for crowd control.
But, the Program went off beautifully - smoothly...and yes, even with many feeling the spirit of the sweet children and message.
After the program was completed and we had been dismissed to have 'regular Primary', we had previously decided as a presidency, that instead of me doing a Sharing Time, I would have fun music time and activities with the children.  I'm a born Primary chorister...it's my niche.  So, I did fun, active songs with them - they moved and laughed and played etc...I thought it had gone well. 
As we dismissed the younger Primary to go to classes and the older Primary children were coming in, the Primary president pulled me aside and said...'just a suggestion...you're a little loud and you get the children a little too riled up.  And you scare some of the children...they cower from you.'
I was...deflated.  Like A full blown balloon with the air completely let out of it.
And I was hurt.
I went up to the front of the room and sat quietly as the older children came in.  I could feel the tears starting to well up in my eyes and the lump form in my throat.  The chorister came up to tell me what a wonderful job I had just done and 'what a natural I was with the children'....I looked up at her with tears and said, 'apparently not to some'...She could tell I was having a melt down and offered to take the next shift of music for me...I accepted and left.
After I went to the bathroom and wiped away any sign of hurt, I snuck into Relief Society and sat on the back row where I listened calmly to a lesson on 'Peace'.
Later last night, I thought about it all...
There are times when I just want to stay inside the four walls of my own house.  I feel safe there.  I feel loved there - protected from hurt - where all I am concerned about is my sweet husband, my own children and family and where I know I am valued, can feel the spirit and can contribute and be appreciated.  But that's not God's plan. 
I don't like being hurt.  I don't like feeling unneeded - unloved, unappreciated.  I have plenty I could be doing to take care of the Bishop and his needs.  So my initial thoughts are to ask to be released.  But, I know there is a new primary President 'for the first time', that at some point, is going to fall flat on her face...and is going to need someone to help pick her up; someone that has been through the exact same 'crash and burn' phase of her presidency and is going to need the 20+years of experience counselor to help lift her up and give her the encouragement she needs.  I will be needed. 
And I will be there.
Until then, I will be quietly fulfilling my calling and try my best to not frighten the little children in Primary when I sing 'Nephi's Courage'.

3 comments:

Sean and Becky said...

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! You are the best primary chorister ever! She probably was just jealous that all of the kids love you! :) Keep getting crazy up there, you're amazing!

Adam and Jess said...

Sorry you're feeling unnecessary:( I get that you don't always want to have the kids be rowdy, crazy, or rambunctious. But for heaven's sake, they just sat up on stage for an hours and gave a primary program. They should have a day every now and again to just be kids and whether the pres. thinks it or not I'd imagine more kids respond to an upbeat and energetic person, as opposed to someone who's quiet and boring.

Kylie C. said...

Oh brother! Don't listen to her. She doesn't know what she's talking about!