Monday, October 21, 2013

Weeding My Marriage



What is the definition of a weed?
'That which sucks the life out of something else.'
Yesterday, a member of the high council gave a talk on the 'Proclamation of the Family' in Sacrament Meeting and focused on the marriage relationship, and asked each of us to consider what we are doing in our own marriages to cultivate love in our relationships and keep them alive and thriving.  His suggestion was that we first, recognize and remove the weeds in our marriage.  Sit down and take a look at our marriages and remove 'the useless', the excess or 'overgrowth,' glean that which is good from that which might destroy...and then weed it all out...leaving only that which will help our marriage to thrive and grow.
Then?  Enjoy the Harvest.
This past week was a very difficult one for me.
I allowed some weeds in my marriage - not only allowed them, but I watered them, fertilized them and anticipated a full bloom of possible friendship.  That won't make sense to anyone but me...but in realizing this and seeing the immediate affects it was having on me, the talk yesterday was a HUGE eye opener for me...and I ended my Sabbath Day by weeding my marriage garden...I pulled the weed, threw it in the garbage and realize that there are certain weeds in the garden of friendship that are toxic to the garden.  They appear hopeful and beautiful in the beginning - but end up 'choking the life out of the good in the garden'.  They kill it.
While at the temple on Friday, there was something said in the session that I have heard a hundred times, at least, but struck me differently this time...'thorns, thistles and noxious weeds.'  For what purpose?  They DO HAVE a purpose...but not a staying power.  They are a lesson - to teach - to experience, but not for the eternities.  No staying power - no contribution to the thrivings of a healthy and blooming marriage.
I love how it came together for me this week.  A few moments of the stress, anxiety and confusion of the circumstances reminded me that I never want to feel like that again.  I like how my life has come together now, and how my marriage has been 'nurtured, tended to and cared for' over the past few years by hands that are fully invested in the eternal welfare of this marriage garden.
No more weeds in this marriage.  Yanked by their roots....replaced to never grow again.

No comments: