Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Word of the Day: ARRUGAS

It mean...wrinkles.
As you know, I work for Dr. Anabella Henao-Aldrey.  She's from Venezuela.  I worked with Dr. Henao at our previous place of employment for almost 5 years and now, I have been with her for almost two months.  I love her and we have always had such a perfect working relationship that has made it being her employee a pure pleasure.
But I must tell you; I go home with a headache and accent every day. But my Spanish is getting better and better all the time.  I can understand almost a 100% of what is said, catching a word here or there that I don't quite understand.  Today's word was 'arrugas'.  As soon as it is said, and dr. see's me glance her way, she will always smile and say the word quickly in English, so I can learn it.  I try to extend the same courtesy to her...she tends to say some of her words in 'Spanglish', which is a LAZY way to speak English.  It's like someone thinking they can speak Spanish by adding 'ito' or 'a' or 'o' at the end of an English word - example: trying to make 'doctor-ito' a real word.  Today, in conversation with a mother, I heard her say 'blockiendo'.  I turned and scowled at her.  She threw her hands up and said 'what?  It's a word!!'  I asked her 'for what?'  'It means to block'.  Whatever.  Lazy Spanish. 
And...she gets her vowels all messed up.  When she asks a patient to take a 'sit' instead of a 'seat' or my favorite, she asks for a 'sh*t of paper' instead of 'sheet of paper'.  I told her she can't say that anymore.  Her sons get so aggravated with her when they come home from school and she will pronounce 'dock' as 'duck' and 'duck' for 'duck' and she can't hear the difference.  Yesterday, we were trying to come up with a flyer for a Halloween carnival we are having the last week of the month.  I told her she needed to place a 'comma' after a certain word.  When she told the printer to put a 'coma' after the word candy, I took the phone from her and told the printer we would not be giving any candy to the kids that would 'put them in a coma'.  She still doesn't get it.
I try not to embarrass her in front of a patient EVER,  but if I have to tell her one more time, to quit telling the parents of her patients that her family 'is going to the b*tch' next year, instead of the 'beach', I'm going to forbid her to share her vacation plans with anyone!
Yesterday's word was 'disfraz' - or costume.
By the end of the week, I'm hoping to know the words 'witch, broomstick, and toad', so I can threaten the Bishop with a 'spell' every time he gets snippy mouthed with me.

No comments: