Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Time To Take a Different Approach

I've spent a LOT of my time this year in a little cocoon that I have created around myself.  I have focused on only the things immediately in front of me and within my realm of influence.  I have been very secluded and tried to take care of things close here to home.
It's had it's good results, but it has also had some expected backlash.  I have not been close with any of my family; meaning my siblings and I have purposely distanced myself from certain people and influences in order to keep focused and think clearly on some things at hand.  There are a few who have been very understanding of my need for some space.  Others, not so much.  I didn't go to family reunion, but I wasn't surprised that I didn't have any regrets.  I really am not that close to much of my family - I have probably three siblings that I would truly miss if I never saw them again.
I don't know why I feel this way.  I just do.  I don't NEED to talk to more than Elaine, Rachel and Becca - and realizing that they are probably busier than I am, I seldom call 'to just chat'.  But some of that has come back to bite me in the butt...I don't hear a lot of family stuff going on - which is to be expected..I don't get invited to a lot of family things because I seldom go, either because there are actual previous commitments or, I am too lazy to put forth the effort to go.  And, most of it, I am okay with.
But I've decided I am going to actually put forth a special effort to let those that I DO need, know that I love them and need them.  I'm going to step outside my selfish bubble and extend myself a little more to towards those I care about.  I need to think more of my sisters and mother - I need to reach out more to the members in my ward.  I need to care for my visiting teaching ladies better - send notes to people in need.  I need to quit being lazy with my time and reach out...
I realize that I have focused all of my emotions, time and efforts towards my husband, my children and my grandchildren - all of which is good - but it is not all I can do.  I need to do more.
So - time to take a different approach.
Manage my time - my efforts - manage my abilities.
I want to go back to nurturing the relationships that are important to me - and that CAN be more than who I have sheltered in my cocoon.
And...quit being so lazy.
Fat, old, lazy grandma.
Hopefully, I will have some good results.  If not immediately, then in due time.

No comments: