Thursday, March 12, 2015

Our Future Date Nights

Del got a postcard in the mail a few weeks ago inviting us to attend a 'retirement planning' seminar and dinner.  Of course, I was more interested in the dinner portion of the advertisement - a nice steak house restaurant - and Del was not really INTERESTED in the financial part of it, except to maybe hear what some of the new thinking is out in the world today about investing and the saving of money in today's economy.
But Del asked me, I accepted.  And we had date night last Tuesday.
The restaurant was called 'Queenies' in Denton, just 15 minutes away.  We were there just a few minutes early, so as we parked the truck and walked towards the restaurant, we noticed all these old couples walking towards the same place, most likely attending the same seminar.  I had to giggle to Del, expressing that I was pretty sure we were the youngest couple there and asking if we were truly at the right place?  I forget, sometimes, that Del is nearly 60 - I'm not NEAR that age (55) - but from the appearance of things when we walked in, our seating options were to sit with 'the dead', the 'nearly dead' and those 'hanging on with their last breath'. We chose a table without an oxygen tank, a cane, or a coffin - and only one couple at the time.  Another couple joined the table right before the event started; Del guessed them at our age - I guessed them about 3-4 years older.  In our dinner conversation, we learned that my guess was exact - they were both 60. But they, and the other couple shared their traveling experiences over the past 10 years - Europe, Spain, Italy, England, Jerusalem etc etc..I had flashing through my mind, our recent trip to Utah - and OH, we went to Hawaii for our 10 yr anniversary.  But we really enjoyed listening to their 'life of retirement' and all the places they had been to visit, not at all feeling deprived of their world travels.
The thing I came away with from the whole evening was two-fold.
 One, we are closer to retirement age than I ever imagined, but no=where near retirement capabilities.
And two - I was very proud of us for going out on a limb - doing something adventurous and new - like having date night on a Tuesday instead of on a Friday!!!
Quite the rebels, aren't we??

P.S. - the food WAS excellent - beef tenderloin, garlic potatoes and asparagus - salad and cobbler for dessert.  $50 a plate at the presenters cost.  Nice!

No comments: