Monday, April 6, 2015

Looking at Things Through My 'Different Perspective' Glasses

My mother-in-law is here,visiting for three weeks. That normally, would send me into a state of frustration, accompanied by heavy sighs and rolling eyes.
But I have asked for, and received, divine intervention.
I did not want this visit to be 'the same as it has always been'.  I wanted it to be...enjoyable. I knew nothing would change on her part, because Shirley is who Shirley has always been.  I would need to be the one to change; to see and do things differently.
So before she arrived last week, I made it a point of prayer and lots of thought and consideration.  I wanted my heart to be softened - to be more understanding and patient, so that I could know how to handle each situation as it would arise and see a perfect way to address any conflicts or acts of impatience on my part.  I wanted to know how to make her happy, comfortable and to meet her needs of being validated and feeling needed - wanted and important.
So far - things are going beautifully...even better than I could have hoped for.  It's been a week tomorrow, with two more weeks to go.  We have enjoyed Easter and General Conference with the grandchildren, she has helped with putting the last of our garden in and she has, for the most part, not needed to have Del's undivided attention.  There has truly been a sweet spirit of family in the home as she has gone about her family history work, involving Del with questions about the computer program he has established to help her with her genealogy work.  I've been enjoying her company in watching the NCAA basketball tournament and playing games last night after the last session of conference.  It's turning out to be a very different kind of visit this time.  And I am grateful.
I'm glad, after all these years, that I finally figured out who the problem was...and softened my heart.

No comments: