Friday, September 20, 2019

Better Late Than Never

It's 5:00 a.m. and I am schedule for a Colonoscopy today at noon.
I should have had one ten years ago, as my doctor so adamantly pointed out at my last annual check up.  It's one of those procedures that you have to do 'when you get old' - like mammograms, and cancer checks etc. 
But I guess I now qualify.  I always thought that old was around the age of 60.  That will be me in January, so I figured I would get all of these procedures knocked out of the way so that on my 60th birthday, I could declare myself  'healthy' from head to toe, until my next check up.
I asked Del the other day if, when younger, he ever wondered what physical ailments he might have to endure as an aging adult. 'NEVER'.  Of course he didn't.  But I did. My mom had double breast cancer and arthritis - my dad ended up dying of Parkinson's disease.  I would have NEVER guessed that  would be what took his life. 
So, what would I suffer from??  I've had skin cancer, I have EARLY symptoms of Parkinson's, and honestly, I'm losing my memory.  I have anxiety and panic attacks, but nothing really that indicates I could die from it.  So, that's good.  Del has MS, but is he dying from it?  Not currently, although he DOES have a lot of discomfort/pain from it.  He's going to die from me driving him crazy!!
Wish me luck today.  The prep has only required me to stay close to a bathroom.  Otherwise, I've dropped a good five pounds of pure water and waste weight.  See, there IS a positive side to all this.
I'm having a general anesthesia so I'll come home slightly groggy, but it makes for a great excuse to just park myself on the couch and watch college football !!
Happy day!

No comments: