Monday, August 1, 2022

Anniversary Getaway - Day 2

 














When we first made plans for this trip, we thought we would just get up in the morning and drive the 7 hour trip home and call it a day.  But then Del realized we were only an hour or two away from church historical sites that I had never seen before and thought I might enjoy seeing them before traveling home.

I'm so glad he did.

Breathtaking - pensive and thought provoking - beautiful.  I was amazed by it all.

First, we drove to Adam - ondi- Ahman - which is over 4000 acres of land that the church has purchased in Missouri, and believed to be the future gathering place of the Saints when it is time for our Savior to return.  As Saints, we also believe it is where Adam, before he died, gathered his posterity and gave them blessings and instruction for their future.  Some pretty significant land.  The church currently has the land in beautiful fields of corn, soybeans and other vegetation that is just beautiful look at.  When driving through the area, we found this little baby doe hopping through the forest.  As Del and I stood and overlooked this vast scene in front of us, we discussed how wonderful the Lord's plan truly is and how He has promised us such blessings of a gathering n that beautiful place.  I did mention to Del that while we were there, it might be nice to take a stick and rock and maybe 'stake our place' in the  4000 acres so we don't have to leave our home until the last minute (wink wink).  Nope - he wouldn't even let me take a rock from the premises for keepsake.  

Next, we drove to the historic Liberty Jail, where Joseph Smith, along with about 5 others, were jailed for a lengthy time during a winter.  They were cold - no visitors until near the end - innocent victims having to suffer such cruelties and discomforts.  They only had small little windows on the sides of the building where food was slipped into them.  There was an upstairs and a downstairs - with a small dropway down a ladder to where the prisoners were,  The tour guide gave an amazing history and stories about Farr West, Haun's Mill and then what occurred at the jail that she had me entranced with her words.  I was very touched at learning some of the details.

Lastly, we drove to the Kansas City MO temple grounds where the flowers were in full bloom and the building, like many of the other temples, was majestic and stood out for all to see from the freeway.  It doesn't get old for me, seeing a new temple I've not seen before.  Each one, though a lot like another one, has it's own uniqueness and majesty.  I loved it!

Our drive home.

Del drove the whole way home.  Not that I couldn't have helped, but I think he wanted to.  And he became very talkative.  I asked him a few questions about his family growing up and his parents situation - You would think, that after 40 years, I would know everything there was to know about Del.  But he shared some things with me during that drive home that I had not only NOT heard before, but he asked me to never share them with anyone else - ever.  They were spiritual and personal in nature that he had just never told anyone.  He cried.  In fact, he sobbed.  I was deeply touched by his desire to tell me the things he did.  He was raw; and very vulnerable.  His heart was tender and in seeing all these feelings from him and hearing his stories, I was profoundly moved by the young child to young adult to wise man he had become BECAUSE of these experiences and how now, those experiences have allowed him to serve our Father in Heaven and Savior in a significant way.

My heart was overflowing with love for Del.  Such an experience I will not soon forget. We arrived home around 9:00 at night, unpacked, cleaned up and then we went to bed.

Before falling asleep, I pondered on the events of the weekend.  And as much as I love Josh Groban and how his music makes me feel, I was much more moved and spiritually touched by our last day - in all that we saw, all that we heard and all that we shared with each other.

Hopefully - never to be forgotten.

No comments: