Monday, August 1, 2022

Painting: My Escape





 I'm not artistic AT ALL.  But I can follow directions.

I started about 10 years ago, going to a place called Painting With a Twist.  It's where an art instructor will be up at the front of the room, and while he/she paints, we do likewise on our own canvas at our table.  I don't have to come up with WHAT I want to paint, , I just have to paint what the artist paints.  And that's what I love.

Then I took Lexi with me one time, and NOW she likes to paint too.  But we go to Denton Library to do those paintings and they are free!  We've done two of those so far, with this lighthouse being just this past week.  I have soo much fun with her - we're both so relaxed and love to laugh and joke and not be perfectionists, even though Lexi is VERY good at the details in the picture.  Me?  Not so much.

The painting at the top, I did just this past Saturday.  I went on my own.  I find it VERY therapeutic and calming for me.  It's when I'm by myself that I tend to want it a little more perfect.  if you look closely, you can see the flaws and mistakes.  But that's why when I get home, I usually have Del look at my painting from WAYYY across the room.  He loves them at that distance!!

The more of them I do, the more I like what I'm doing.  I can tell I'm starting to get a few techniques down and not just having to completely follow the instructor, but I rarely go out on my own.  I don't have near the education or imagination to do much of that yet.

But maybe one day.

No comments: