Monday, February 23, 2009

"I'm Going Home!"

That's what Kathryn said when I told her we were going to Utah for Spring Break. She's so excited she can't stand it. My fear?? I won't be able to get her to come home when the trip is over!!!
We received Stephanie's wedding announcement and Kathryn was reading it when she realized it was during the week of Spring Break. That started the ball rolling and today, I was finally able to finalize all the arrangements for the trip. She and I will drive the van up Friday March 13th, spend the week visiting family and friends and going to the wedding, and then Jordan will come down from Idaho and he will take the van back up to school and have it for the next five and a half months working in Portland Oregon over the summer. In the meantime, Kathryn and I will fly home and we will get a new car for the family, which we are needing anyways, and have it until Jordan returns the van the beginning of the school semester in September, at which time, he will hopefully be able to buy his own car.
Get it all??? Most important part will be Kathryn and I coming home from Utah. I'm afraid Kathryn may not be the only one who won't want to come back to Texas. After being gone from work over a week and being with family and loved one's, we will find ourselves having to trick each other on to the plane to fly home. Neither one of us is real happy with life right now and Utah will be a tremendous get away from everything dealt us the past few months...but as I've been trying to teach Kathryn, 'you can't run away from what life deals you', so I'll probably be the one dragging Kathryn by her ponytail onto the plane and regretting it Monday morning back at work.
But at least the get away will happen...and we'll relish every minute of it and hopefully bring a lot of it home with us to tide us over until the next opportunity we get to 'run away from home'. Well, I consider Texas home, but in Kathryn's mind, she's running away TO home. The only thing to make it better for me would be Del being able to come with us. But unlike me, he is not able to leave work with a substitute like I can. So I will miss having him with me. But hopefully, sometime this year, Del and I will be able to sneak away by ourselves and enjoy some much needed get away time of our own.
Until then, I will enjoy this with Kathryn. It will be a LONG three weeks before we go...mainly for Kathryn, but it will be great leverage for getting her to attend Seminary every day and having a good attitude every day. Bribery??? Of course!! I AM her mother!! I do what it takes.

No comments: