Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Glimpse from Beverly J

I've mentioned a few times that Beverly Roberts was my roommate at BYU before we each got married. What wonderful memories...and we've stayed in touch over the many years and now, have had the opportunity to live near each other for the past 6 years.
Bev J, as I call her, has always been very dear to my heart. Today though, I thank her for sharing an hour with me in relating the events of the past few months and her husband, Jonathan's new call as an Area Authority.
They received the call over 2 months ago and were asked to tell no-one. Can you imagine? Knowing something like that and having to just wait for more information, more details, more time before they could tell anyone or do anything about it. She said they had many tender private moments between the two of them, waiting for the opportunity to finally be able to move forward with the calling.
They went up to Salt Lake early as they were invited to participate in days of training and learning literally at the feet of the prophet, his counselors, member of the Twelve and Seventy and their wives. She said they were in a continual state of 'awe and wonder' as they tried to absorb all that their lives would be over the next 5 years. They were taught sooo much and relished in the companionship of the 'brethren'.
I just cried - over and over I cried as Bev shared these precious moments of meeting wives of newly called men from all parts of the world...the littlest sister from Kenya, who had probably been no further away from her home than the 10 miles it took to walk to the nearest store...or the sisters from Asia, Japan, Germany, South America and just all parts of the world. There they all were, being taught by the wives of the twelve apostles and wives of the presidents of the quorum of Seventy. Bev shared how Elder Bednar ordained and set Jonathan apart and then they went off to Priesthood meeting while Sister Bednar invited Bev to go to dinner.
She mentioned how these wives of the general Authorities were so nurturing and comforting to all the new sisters in teaching them their role in their husbands new callings. Some of these men have had their callings for years, or been previous mission presidents or more - and Bev expressed, so humbly, how she felt so 'out of her league'. My heart swelled with love for her as I shared with her that she was exactly where she was supposed to be...at the side of her righteous husband; that Jonathan IS who he is in part because of his dear wife Beverly.
I can't share all that was discussed because there was just sooo much she shared...the people, the discussions, the instruction given etc... She was so thoughtful to share what she did, making it just a beautiful conclusion to the already wonderful General Conference weekend I had experienced. I did share with her, that for the first time in my life, I had experienced an immediate spiritual witness to the calling of a priesthood leader, and how wonderful it had been for me that it was about Jonathan.
I love Jonathan and Beverly and will watch excitedly over the next 5 years, their growth and service in this calling. Such special people who hold such a tender place in my heart.
Thank you Bev J for that sacred hour we shared today.

No comments: