Friday, April 3, 2009

Medicine for my Owieee


When I was young, my mother had either homemade bread OR homemade cookies almost every day when we came home from school. What great treats. One of my favorite cookies was my mothers homemade oatmeal cookies...that, of course, was if the cookie dough ever reached the cookie sheet and into the oven.
The top picture? A roll of homemade oatmeal cookie dough...in the freezer, just like mom used to have. And the gradual eating of the 'roll' has begun. Yep, I go in and open the Seran wrap and take off a chunk of it and eat it - raw. Then I wrap it back up. One of my brothers and I used to eat all the cookie dough from the outside freezer in the garage. I used to wonder if my mother knew, or if she had always just forgotten about the roll of dough out there gradually being chiseled away at. She HAD to have known! How do you forget?
Well, the cookie dough in my freezer is serving as my medicine for my most current surgery today. OUCH!! I put on the topical anesthesia the Dr. gave me to help numb the spot where the injection would be, but it obviously did NOTHING as my eyes swelled with tears as he gave me the injection. Holy crud, it hurt. I was holding Del's hand and he said he knew it hurt as my fingernails DUG into his hand. The actual surgery part of scrapping and burning out the cancer cells, was not too bad. I could smell the burning of the skin on my lip and then felt the pressure of him digging out what he called the 'soft cancer cells'. It's amazing to me how much of it is done by 'touch', cancer cells 'feeling' different than non cancer skin.
The anesthesia wore off quickly and before I left the office, the pain and stinging of the site was INTENSE. I was crying. My body was shaking a little trying to keep my mind off the intense pain. I cried all the way home, took pain pills immediately and went to bed. I slept off and on all afternoon and by the time I got up at 5:00, a lot of the swelling had gone down and I was feeling fairly comfortable.
Now, tonight, I am watching BYU men's volleyball and picking in my cookie dough, so I should be good for the night. Swelling continues to go down and I'm hoping by the time I go to bed, that between the reduced swelling and pain pills, I will sleep soundly through the night.
Forehead pathology report was clear - all cancer cleaned out and gone. So I should be declared 'cancer free'. Yippeeee! I'm good to go and will be much more aware from now on of non healing sores or anything 'like unto it'.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I knew EXACTLY what the first picture was I saw it :-) I used to eat from the rolls in the bottom freezer inside the kitchen. I think mom didn't say much cuz SHE was also eating it.
I'm So happy for your good pathology news so far. Hope you feel MUCH better soon. Love you LOTS!

Adam and Jess said...

I had a lot of catching up to do. Glad everything went well even though you were in pain. We got in trouble for sneeking cookie dough growing up, so when we got old enough I used to buy it from the store so I could eat and not get in trouble. I saw the trip to Utah went well. I was jealous since I didn't get to see the wedding. Steph and I were such close cousins growing up.