Tuesday, April 21, 2009

In the Middle of the Night

The older I get, the less I am able to sleep through the night. I have restless leg syndrome plus I just toss and turn most of the night. So recently, I have been just getting up and watching some t.v., reading or I get on the computer.
On KBYU, it has been having this series of reports on what is called 'The Joseph Smith Papers', a project being done by members of the church, collecting all of Joseph Smith's writings and journals. I have now watched about 8-10 episodes of this project and it has been soooo fascinating and interesting to hear some of the details that even I, over my 49 years of being in the church, never understood to be part of church history. And I am LOOOOVVVING it!!! Joseph Smith has always, in my eyes, been such a hero of the Restoration of the gospel, but I am seeing so much more of who he was and what he went through to restore the Lord's church here to the earth. Not just the common boy who became a persecuted man, but he was truly chosen and prepared. What a strengthening of my testimony this program has been for me. I am looking forward to this Joseph Smith project being completed. It will be quite expensive to purchase, but something that I think will be treasured to have in my limited church library.

I am truly grateful to the scholars who are making this available to us other members of the church that don't have either the resources or time to gather this material on our own. A real blessing.

No comments: