Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding - William and Kate



Thirty years ago, one year before my actual wedding date of July 29, 1982, the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, married Lady Diana Spencer. I remember waking up at 2/3:00 in the morning to watch the wedding that literally hundreds of millions of people throughout the world were watching. It was the wedding of the century...everything a fairytale wedding should be, except for the 'happily ever after' ending.
Within years of the wedding, they had had 2 heirs to the throne ...William and Harry, and their marriage had fallen apart. And then 10 years ago, Princess Diana was killed in a car accident, leaving the 2 boys to be raised by their father Prince Charles.
Today was another Royal Wedding and I was once again, awake at 2:00 am to watch all the pre-wedding coverage and stayed up all the way through until about 8:00 am when the wedding was complete. This was the marriage of of Prince William, the oldest son of that young couple 30 years ago and his commoner girlfriend of 8+ years, Catherine Middleton...or 'Kate', by which she has been known.
It was lovely - regal - very beautiful. She will make a lovely queen someday and he will be a strong king for England. I'm half British you know...I feel a fascination for that country and loved every minute of the wedding coverage. And even though not a temple marriage, of course, it was still touching to see a young couple so in love, getting married and starting their lives together.
I wish them every happiness in the world for a long and blissfully happy married life together.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

It really was a beautiful wedding. I didn't get up at the butt crack of dawn to watch it (crazy lady) but I did watch it on the internet once I was conscious for the day. :) And even though so many people thought all the coverage on the wedding was ridiculous with so many other important things going on in the world, I thought it was wonderful. In a world of so much yuck, I loved being able to sit and watch something so beautiful. It was a good reminder of why we live. For the beautiful moments of life.