Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Got Me Some Help for Planting



Monday was a big day for gardening.
Not only did I do all the planting of the indoor stuff, but then, from 4:00 - 8:30, Del and I spent in the back putting up more post for the grape arbor, attaching the fencing to the posts, preparing the ground for the grapes to go in and the roto tilling the back garden space for more planting. You can see the fence in the background of the above pictures.  And we're still not done yet.  I was too exhausted.
But today, I found me some help.  Actually, she volunteered to help, of which, I was extremely grateful.  We got dressed in our gardening clothes, which for me, is just cut off pants rolled up into shorts, old t-shirts with cut off sleeves and then Dels old cowboy boots.  Then outside we went.
Kathryn and I both LOVE country music, so I put her in charge of gettin' us some 'tunes' going, so she hooked up her phone to our little stereo system, got the extension cord for it, took it out onto the grass by the garden and cranked up the volume.  Oh my, we had a good time plantin' our green beans.  Took us three hours, but we planted 32 LONG rows of green beans, zucchini, squash, watermelons and cantaloupe.  We got us a little bit of sun and huge backaches, but were quite proud of what we accomplished.  By the end of it all, I could barely move.
Kathryn took a two hour nap while I got dinner ready and then I went and took a shower and cleaned up.  Dinner was early, as Del had an evening at the church of interviews and meetings.  I was in pajamas by 7:00 and would have crashed for the night except BYU had a basketball game at 8:30 in the first round of the NIT.  Can't sleep when that's on, so I stayed up until Del got home at 10:00 and we watched the end of the game together.  They won, and will move on to the next round.
On tomorrows agenda?  Corn....rows and rows of corn.
Then green onions, herbs, bell peppers and plotting out where the tomatoes will all go.
I'm tired just thinking about it.
But a big thank you to Kathryn.  We laughed, sang and then laughed a whole bunch more.  She made the time and work go by a lot faster for me.  Love her.

No comments: