Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden- Phase 1











Yesterday, Del and I, with the help of Jordan and Lexi, planted Phase 1 of our garden and I found some muscles that I haven't used in a very long time.  And today, those said muscles hurt.  Basically, every muscle from my neck down, especially behind my thighs, ache.
We planted for 6 hours.  We were able to get the following things in the ground...
     Raspberries
     Blackberries
     Strawberries - one of our two rows...we still have 84 plants that have to wait for two weeks.
     Potatoes - one row of russet and one row of red.
     Onion - one row of yellow and one row of red.
     Lettuce
     Carrots
     Spinach
     Herbs - cilantro, parsley, and basil
And then we blocked off the plots for the green beans, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, strawberries and cucumbers which will all have to wait for about two weeks, until the threat of frost has passed.  That planting will be called Phase 2, and should take another 6 hours or so.  Green and jalapeno peppers will be included in that second phase planting.
It was nice to sit back later in the evening and see the fruits of our long working day.  But it's just the beginning of a very long summer and harvesting season come early fall.  But I couldn't more excited.  I get a great sense of peace and contentment when I know how hard we work and what blessings we will have from the harvest.  I get the biggest thrill knowing what my storage shelves will look like by the end of the year.
Plus, it was nice working with the kids and Del.  There's a feeling of 'ownership' and 'entitlement' now for us...we've earned the right to enjoy the harvest.  I like that.
So, until Phase 2...I will sit and watch my garden grow.

1 comment:

alisha.p.bowen said...

If you ever tell my dad I will deny it, but I actually kind of miss gardening. I LOVE the feeling of newly roto-tilled earth and I miss the feeling of dirt under my nails and the reward of yummy veggies. It for sure will be a lot of work, but I'm jealous of your garden!