Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Out of Commission

I started feeling the onset of 'the crud' last Wednesday.
It's been a week later now and I have been pretty sick - down in bed and just YUCKY!!!  Bad cough, ear ache, stuffy nose - what everyone else has had through the winter, I just waited until Spring to get it.  I'm pretty sure I have both an ear and sinus infection - and upper respiratory something.  I'm pretty tired from not sleeping well and then Monday and Tuesday, I had committed to babysit the grandchildren and knew Kylie wouldn't be able to get anyone else on such short notice, so I barely lived through those two days and now today, I'm allowing myself to be sick again.  I'm thinking I'll probably need to get on some antibiotics so that means a visit to the doctor tomorrow.
During this week of being sick, I have sent another 20 or so resumes but nothing - again.  I'm wondering if the timing is just all wrong - especially after a phone call from Rebecca on Monday night about daddy.  Apparently Monday was a pretty significantly bad day for my dad.  My sister Sheila and mom described some symptoms that Becca said sounded much like seizures - a few of them.  He has stopped talking - can't or won't I don't know which.  And he has lost more weight and is very fragile.  Is not doing ANY physical therapy anymore and they have actually put him on Hospice now.  Becca says she felt it bad enough to call me and Elaine and says she doesn't think he'll last much past two months, if even that.
My heart sank. She says his mind is fairly good - but his body is just not going to keep pace with what he can still think and remember.  He's in a LOT of pain - needing to be on a morphine IV drip and apparently, he said something to the affect of wanting to be released from his body and the pain.  I don't know the details of that comment, as Becca said it was mom who heard it.  And mom might be in a little denial, I don't know.  Becca says there are times mom says '2 yrs daddy could still be around', but then Becca sees him and says there is no possible way he will be here for 2 more years.  I know mom is being told different things from different people and she is exhausted from it all.  She needs some relief.  I may go up there again in the near future, but I will wait until after General Conference.  I need to at least be feeling better myself first.

No comments: