Tuesday, March 12, 2013

There's an Elephant in the Box


Sunday, my Primary lesson was about The Three Witnesses to the Golden Plates in the Book of Mormon.  I first expressed to the kids, how difficult it must have been for Joseph Smith, that when he told people of the First Vision, and then again, of the Golden Plates, how difficult it must have been that no-body believed him; that his story was so 'crazy' to so many people, that there were very few, outside of his family, that would believe him.
I then continued.  "It would be like me trying to convince you really smart kids, that ...that..there's like, an elephant in this box!!  Crazy, huh!!??"  A few of the kids laughed and agreed with me, but then there was Dillon and Brooks, who both said, 'I believe you.'  So, I chose those two and Renee' to come out in to the hallway with me, where I opened up the box and showed them, that there was, indeed, an elephant in the box.
When we returned to the room, I asked all three of my 'witnesses' , one at a time, what was in the box.  After they each confirmed that there WAS an elephant in the box, two more of the kids believed that there was an elephant in the box, and I rewarded them by taking them out into the hall and showing them the elephant in the box.  They, in turn, returned to the classroom and proclaimed that 'there WAS an elephant in the box'.  The others would not believe until I finally took them out into the hall and showed them, also, that there was an elephant in the box.
I asked the following questions:
1.  Why had some of them believed me right from the beginning?? (they were like JS's family)
2.  Why were there three that got to see the elephant first, before the others?  (they were chosen and had the faith like Oliver, Martin and Peter).
3.  If all of them saw the elephant, how easy would it be to convince someone else that there was an elephant in the box?  (they were pretty sure they could convince anyone)
So I had Sarah Burton, the Elder's Quorum President's wife, who was standing out in the hall, come into our class room.  After asking her one or two questions, she quickly caught on to the scenario I had set up and the role I would be wanting her to play.  I asked the Three Witnesses first, to tell Sister Burton what was in the box and why they knew it was there.  I allowed them to say all they wanted to say and then I asked her if she believed them.  She laughed and said, 'Believe that there's an elephant in that box?  Hmm...I don't think so, but...'  Then I asked the remaining kids if any of them wanted to tell Sister Burton what was in the box.  Each of them fervently tried to tell her what they believed was in the box, saying that they had SEEN it AND TOUCHED it.  I then asked Sister Burton if she believed what she was being told.  She hesitated and before she could say anything, Dillon said ,'It doesn't matter if she believes me.  I know what's in there.'  Sister Burton continued by saying, 'Well, I guess if ALL of you say what's in there is an elephant, I guess I have to believe you.'  I asked the kids if I should show her.  They said yes.  I opened the box and showed Sister Burton the same elephant that the other children had seen.  She was surprised but was glad that they had told her the truth and then she left the classroom.
I then asked the kids if it had been hard to convince Sister Burton and how much easier it had become when more kids told her the truth.  Then I expounded on Dillon's remark of 'it didn't matter if she believed him because he KNEW what was in the box'.  I explained that Joseph Smith felt the same way...and how much easier it became for him to tell the truth when he had, first, THREE witnesses to support him, and then another EIGHT witnesses.
We read together, from the Book of Mormon, the statement by both the Three and Eight Witnesses as to their testimony of the Gold Plates.  The discussion continued that it was important, that even if no-one EVER believed those witnesses, it was important that they testify of it's truthfulness. 
I think they understood it; the importance of witnesses, and that if there were ever a time that they were in a position to be a witness for the Savior and His gospel, that they would have the courage to be that witness and share their testimony.

No comments: