Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tomatoes

Probably more than anything else in the garden, I looked forward to home grown tomatoes.  I love tomatoes.  I eat them just like I would an apple, but only if they are fresh from the garden.  I planted 16 tomato plants...and got three tomatoes total.  I was devastated.
Sister Lewis knew how disappointed I was.  She also had problems with her garden this year, but not nearly as sad as ours.  But Saturday, while I was at work, she went out into her garden, picked all the remaining tomatoes she had on her 25 plants, and brought them over to my house in two large 25 gallon buckets.  One of the sweetest gestures EVER.
So tonight, I canned them.  And I am thrilled to have canned tomatoes from a garden.  Not MY garden, mind you, but better.  From a garden that was filled with much love.
I will cherish each quart I use.
Thank you Sister Lewis.

No comments: