Monday, March 2, 2020

'EGGactly My Point'




I LOVE having having chickens!!
I love raising them, feeding hem, watching over them and then collecting their eggs.  The whole process is just a rush for me. So, in that the process of having chickens is a rush for me, the losing of is the opposite: a TOTAL devastation  to me. And that is what has happened to me over the past 6 weeks.
The most we have had at any given time was 30.  We are now down to 9.  We have seen them be snatched up by hawks, we have seen them get dragged away by a coyote, and then several times, we have been left with only the signs of what once as a chicken, left behind as proof of a death.
My emotions one week are...once these chickens are all gone, we're not doing this again.
The next week, I'm wanting to go out and buy 20 more baby chickens to raise again for more eggs.
The next week, I'm like  'let's get even more for different colored eggs'...
and the last week, I'm like  'My grandkids can get their own chickens at their OWN house.'
We took steps to no longer have roosters to worry about and now our cute hens don't feel threatened or afraid to stay in the coop.
Right now, at this EGGact moment, I'm leaning towards scenario #3 - a few more wouldn't hurt anything.

No comments: