Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It Literally Stopped

I've always wondered if the phrases 'my heart skipped a beat' , 'my heart quit beating' or 'my heart stood still' were true or even possible. Today, I learned that not only are those phrases true, but I experienced them first hand.
Jordan called me at work this afternoon to tell me he had been in a car accident. That's the moment it happened. My heart literally stopped beating. I could feel it...the moment it stood still. I've never had that happen before- and I've thought once or twice , how I would handle a phone call like that. This is our first car accident with one of the kids.
Thank heavens Jordan started his explaining fairly quickly which helped me to realize he wasn't dead. I could breathe again. Seems he was distracted - about what? Plenty of possibilities, but he never was specific. But he rear-ended the car in front of him, driven by a young girl slightly older than Jordan. The van received the brunt of the impact leaving only slight damage to her bumper, but enough to our van that the police were called and a report was given. Jordan was sick. I gave him instructions as to whom to call for our insurance, what information to give and what to say to the police. Then I told him to call his dad. About an hour later, he called back crying, saying how sorry he was for what had happened.
You know...it happened again; the heart stopping thing. This time, for a much different reason than the first. I was realizing how relieved I was that he was safe, alive and talking to me over the phone. I told him the basics...we've all been in accidents before; we've all locked our keys in the car before (something he had done an hour before the accident and had taken him 2 hours to get back in), and we have all gotten a ticket before. Of course, not all on the same day, so THAT fact did make him unique, but he had no reason to feel that he was a loser or failure in life just because all of his experiences happened on the same day. He laughed...that's all I wanted. I told him I could handle just about everything he had dealt me that day, but NOT the 'self esteem' issue. I was going to have NONE of that. After a little more detailed conversation about accident issues, I told him I loved him and we hung up.
I now know how it feels; at least for this first time. Who knows what I'll experience the next time it happens - with Kathryn, Kylie, Del or even Jordan again. But I learned THIS time that although my heart stopped for one slight moment, it continued beating the minute I realized that nothing was more important than the fact that was Jordan was fine...although a little banged up, of which I'm not supposed to know about. He told Kylie - didn't want to worry me. But I guess he hit his forehead on the steering wheel and has a few cuts and bruises?? I'm trying not to worry out of respect for the great effort he has gone to to not let me know. But THAT emotion comes automatically , just being his mother and all.
Now, we pick up the pieces of today. A lot of details to be taken care of - insurance details, repair details, the other driver details and Jordan's mental state details. It's not enough for him to be far away from home again, alone, struggling to make money and now this. He's feeling pretty rotten. But he's a big boy - it's only temporary - nothing that can't be fixed with lots of love, hugs and kisses and support; even if it is sent long distance.
Why does it always have to be long distance?

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Connie did the same thing after she left home. They bounce back and it ends up being one of those memories that you either laugh about or want to forget entirely.

AnnCP said...

Yes, our youngest backed out of the parking lot too quickly and hit a truck. I hope it is a lesson learned!