Monday, February 6, 2012

'It's Always Fun When Grandpa (& Grandma) Comes

It's been years, but dad and mom finally made it back to
Texas for a visit. Wonderful to see them after almost
a year. 'Marked' changes physically, but still here.
Sheila's first visit to Texas, I hear. Three oldest sisters.
Dad, mom and their three favorite daughters.....I said.
Grandma and Grandpa with their LOTT grandchildren.
Uncle Bob, Aunt Talmage, Mom and Dad.
Preston meets his cousin Savannah.
Preston meets his cousin Grant.
COUSINS...Becky, Janene, Kathryn and Kylie.
Kayla and Kathryn.
Make a Million...Sheila and Elaine's hands.
My two favorite men....

It was nice to have my parents and older sister come for a few days to visit. They stayed at Elaine's house and we went over each night to spend some time eating, playing games and having the cousins intermingle and visit.
Tons of fun...tons of laughs...tons of food...
Dad and are mom are showing their age a little more...especially daddy. His Parkinson's is taking it's toll on him...he doesn't talk a lot...has a harder time keeping his head up and sitting up straight; his hands shake, he 'observes' more than 'participates' and appears quite weary most of the time. For someone, who four years ago was the epitome of health and vitality, this disease has not been kind to him. I ache seeing him so limited in his energies and abilities but marvel at how quick his mind and memory are when discussing things of the gospel and the spirit. He is quick to tear and slow to speak. He remembers little of short term moments and has to be reminded often of what he used to know instinctively. He struggles to smile...not that what he sees and hears doesn't bring him joy, but that his ability to actually have his lips form the smile takes a little more effort than he is accustomed to. I sat with him for a time in which I shared some special Lott family experiences I thought he would find interesting. In sharing some of Kathryn's activities, he cried quietly with pleasure that she was accomplishing some things he always hoped she would do...staying involved with gymnastics, especially in a prestigious and well know gym. He was so pleased with her good choices and progress. And he cried when he first saw and hugged Kylie. He loves her and it's so sweet for me to know, that for some reason, he finds her so special in his heart. He thought Preston was adorable, which of course, he is.
I loved watching mom and dad enjoy each of us daughters, and then each of their grandchildren, and then in turn, each of their great grandchildren. At this stage in their lives, it's hard for them to remember each individual. I mean, for heaven's sake...they have 12 children...over 70+ grandchildren, (I think) and then I don't know HOW many GREAT grandchildren. Mom remembers each and every one of us...dad? Not so much. But he knows we are all his; and that brings him joy.
I'm still not ready for anything to be different....meaning...I'm not ready for anyone to be 'gone'. Meaning...I'm not ready for dad OR mom to die. Not saying either one is going to anytime soon...but...yes, it's most likely going to be...sometime....soon.
But, I'll think about that another time.
Not today.
Today, I'm going over to Elaine's to go spend the last night with my parents before they go back home to Utah.
Tomorrow will come soon enough.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I love your father's hair! It seemed to take forever for him to finally go white, but it's looking quite "celestial" now...I think my dad's turned in one year, the year he ran for congress. We were living in Garland then and didn't see him for the year we were there. Next time we saw him - he was white! Glad you had a great time.