Monday, August 19, 2019

He Did Speak Peace to My Soul

Since January, Del and I have had a whole new focus in our lives through the directive of the First Presidency in studying and following the 'Come Follow Me' manual and study guide.  It has brought a whole new dimension to my personal life and to our marriage of which I never imagined possible.  In the past, I have not really liked studying the scriptures and having doctrinal discussions with Del because I have felt so inadequate and less knowledgeable of Gospel principles that I just didn't enjoy it.  But I promised myself in January, when we started the new program, that I was going to be humble and desirable of all things Del could teach me.  I want to learn.  I want to understand.  And I WANT DEL to be the one to teach me.  With this attitude, I have been overwhelmed by the spirit Del has with him and the ability he has to reach my heart and my head in learning about the Gospel.  He is truly a scholar of the scriptures.  He LOVES them.  And he is able to help me LOVE them too.  Each week, as we study the New Testament, Del shares insight of scriptural references that I would never see or understand.  He also allows me to share and express what few things I DO understand and the spirit I DO feel from my studies.  He likes my point of view - he values my thoughts.  It has certainly drawn us closer together as we study the words of the Savior and the prophets.  In allowing Del to be my mentor and companion, the Lord has given me peace now and an enjoyment in my learning.
I will never feel as Del's equal, but I can be equal to his desires in learning more and allowing the teachings to touch our souls and minds.

No comments: