Monday, January 31, 2022

Girls Night Celebration and Disappointment








 Because both Kathryn and I were sick with Covid on our birthday's, we had no birthday party or celebrations.  So once we were feeling better, it was time for a girls night out.

I love these three girls deeply and completely.  I love them unconditionally - through their joys and happiness and through their trials and difficulties.  I love being with them - they make me laugh - they make me feel young and alive; they make me feel more than just their mother, but their friend.

We went to Marty B's for dinner - an outside, firepit and barbeque type place with some really good food.  I had been there once before and really loved it.  But my dinner that night was a little disappointing - didn't meet the expectation of my memory.  But it was still good.  Everyone ordered good food.  Two of the girls ordered 'drinks'.  I was deeply disappointed, not by one of them, as I knew she probably would.  But the other order, broke my heart.  I can't name names because I really don't know who reads this and I wouldn't want to throw her under the bus.  I just didn't know that she would.  My heart sunk to my stomach and I was near close to tears.  

We also tend to drift to the topic of sex and our marital comedies usually with the girls SHOCKING me with updated do's and don'ts and current trends.  I have to remind them often that I am a prude - and a 62 year old grandmother that really isn't into all the stuff younger and more active couples do.  So on the way home, we stopped at a lingerie store/sex store???  I WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE  and felt so out of place.  I did not like it all - and although the three girls bought a few things for entertainment in their own marriages, I was subject visually to things that I felt were just downright nasty.  By the time we left, I needed a mind shower to cleanse my thoughts and visuals.  I just really wanted to go home to the comfort and privacy of my own home.  The girls aren't bad girls, they just tend to be attracted to a few of the worldly pleasures of sex that I don't find useful or needed in my marriage.  They asked me if me or Del even had any fantasies - no.  I've never asked Del, but I know the answer would be no if I did ask.  My answer is no.  That's not what I fantasize about.  We were just raised differently, in a different generation and with different expectations and desires.  

Overall, I loved being with my girls.  I hated the uncomfortable and disappointing moments, but I never relayed any of that to them.  I would not want them to know.  But next time, I will be a little more outspoken as to where we go and what we talk about.

Happy birthday to me.

No comments: