Tuesday, January 25, 2022

So Easily Replaced?

 Rachel's husband Mike remarried last Saturday.

Rachel and Mike were married for 32 years.  Rachel spent that time helping put Mike through dental school, establishing herself as his wife - having 5 children - establishing and making their home her own. Lot's of ups and downs in the growing and nurturing of a family.  They all cleaned house the way Rachel had taught them - meticulously.  Spotless kitchen with shine on all appliances.  Carpets vacuumed with lines going a certain way.  Dishwasher loaded Rachel's way so as to fit everything in.  Teeth brushed at night so that it didn't have to be done again in the morning unless the kids ate.  Everything had a place and everything was in it's place.  Of course, her style changed over the years and it was neat to watch her home evolve each time her style evolved.  But at ALL times, that was Rachel's home.

Now, 8 months after her passing, she has been replaced.  It is now Shelly's home.  I noticed in some of the pictures I saw of the wedding, which was AT the house, that some things had already been changed and replaced with other things.  I imagine that over the next few months and years, Rachel's things will completely be removed and Shelly will then make the home, 'Shelly's home', as it should be.  Mike mentioned months ago, that he had set $25,000 aside for his new wife to make the home comfortable for her, adding her special touch to what Rachel had spent 32 years establishing as hers.

At the beginning of the day, I jokingly sent a text to my siblings saying that if there were any 'natural disasters' that day, we may need to reexamine it as Rachel actually tipping the world on it's axis!! But by the end of the day, I was a little more emotional than I had anticipated I would be.  I missed Rachel terribly, imagining her observing from the heavens.  Was she happy? Jealous? Content? Disappointed? Or is she just too busy doing the Lord's work that she doesn't have time to care?

And life goes on.  Thirty two years of imprinting herself on the hearts of her husband and children and now she's replaced.  I know, in reality, she will never be replaced.  But I will never be able to just walk through her garage back door again.  I will forever be a 'ring the front door' visitor from now on, if I visit at all.

No comments: