Sunday, January 11, 2009

Measuring the Return on my Investments

I have been thinking about what certain people and things in my life mean to me, measured by the amount of time and thought I have given them over the years. It has helped me to realize what my true priorities ARE and what they SHOULD be and what adjustments I need to make accordingly.
Del has been involved in the stock market and investing for over 25 years. He loves it and it is his passion. He has been with me for the same 25 years. He loves me and truly is passionate about our marriage too. A good investment with many good returns; eternal returns.
Have all my investments been as wise and productive?
No...I tend to not invest my time and emotions in all the right things...I need to realize more that the time I spend in front of the t.v brings me only 1 hour of pleasure and immediate return, compared to the one hour of reading my scriptures bringing me an eternity of returns of knowledge and relationship with my Savior. That the time on my knees in prayer brings me more in tune with my Father than the extra time I spend reading People magazine to know about movie stars.
I thought about it this past weekend with it being my birthday. I have invested a lot of time and emotion in certain relationships with family and friends and I saw, this weekend, the return of some of my investment. I heard birthday wishes from every one of my sisters....I love them - they love me. We've not always been able to spend as much time or energy on our relationships because we have families, but they remembered me. I heard from my children - okay, I had to remind Jordan what day it was, but he would have remembered soon enough. The ladies at the office remembered...I had not said a word, but they remembered and were so generous and kind. I spend a LOT of time with those ladies - one of my best investments.
And then, I reflected on some of my time and emotions that I have invested in that have shown no return. I need to no longer focus my time on those, hoping for a return that just won't come. I need to move on, recognizing those non-profitable investments as a learning experience and trade them in for more eternal benefits.
My dear Kathryn realized the same thing this past week - a friendship she has invested more than a good year in was given up so quickly by the other person. She made the comment to me..'Mom, you and I seem to invest more in friendships than the one we thought was our friend.' I could see her broken heart. She doesn't see mine as often, but we do understand each other.
So, my investments this year will be more carefully weighed and analyzed. I'm going to go more towards the 'eternal return' of things instead of what I have previously invested my time and emotions in. I will BE the better friend, I will BE diligent in my prayers and scripture reading, I will BE the better sister, I will BE the better mom and wife..I will BE the better daughter of my Heavenly Father. Those things will bring me the desired return I seek.

4 comments:

AnnCP said...

Do you remember the spilled milk incident so many years ago? In some ways, the same concept. There are some things/people that just don't deserve the energy spent. Unfortunately though, it takes "time" to realize that. But was it wasted? No, because as a result you learn and gain experience that hopefully will allow you to see better places to invest your time and energies that yield greater returns.

Glad you felt loved on your birthday!

Grandmama said...

It was great to read through your blog, you haven't changed just as energetic and fun to read the experiences. I am finally trying to learn about blogging you never know I may even start putting posts on. Keep in touch. Wanda

Dana said...

OK, I'm one of those lame people who always misses birthdays. Ask Christian about cutting birthday cake by himself this year!! (He did get all kinds of guilt payback from me over the next few days.) I even had your birthday written in my planner--but that only works if you actually look at it. I'm glad you had a good day with the family.

PS--Kylie did a great job in her talk today--what I heard of it before Lexi had to go potty.

Kylie C. said...

I'm sorry you have crappy friends. But you have an amazing daughter and son in law who love you!